1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salon and Paton Oswalt spar...over Asian joke

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BenPoquette, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

For cripes sake. THIS is not that. Oswalt's line was not meant to insult Asian culture, he was not expressing dislike of Asians, instead he just dropped a silly little pun playing off the mistake that TV news crew had made. If the line was meant to mock anyone, it was the buffoons that made the prior mistake, not Asians.

This silliness is not worth your outrage. Save it for when it's actually due.

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

This is where I come down, too. If EVERYTHING is held up to be a sign of racism and prejudice, then you're going to lose a lot of your audience when true issues of racism and prejudice come up. Kind of like the boy who cried wolf.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would say also that when you're talking about a comedian and you say "I'm offended," he's going to say "Great!"

Because that's what comedians do.

It occasionally backfires (Michael Richards, or the woman who had the anti-gay rant in San Francisco a few months ago), but for the most part doing that job right requires pissing somebody off.

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

1. Is there a line where the people who didn't think it was offensive and didn't think it was funny can stand? I'll head there.

2. It's so magnanimous that y'all are taking on the burden of letting qtlaw know when he should be offended.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Salon's been on this type of kick for a few months. It yelled at The Onion for being too mean a few months ago, completely ignoring Onion history from 1988-2012, when it was just as mean as it supposedly is in 2013.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I saw the tour without Galifianakis in 2005 or 2006.

Bamford is highly underrated. I'm surprised she never became a bigger star. Posehn is hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Who was the woman in San Francisco?

Usually there's just a few days or weeks of backlash and then it goes away. Richards is a notable exception.

Silverman, Tracy Morgan, Gilbert Gottfried, Daniel Tosh all survived. They might have lost a gig or two over it (Gottfried losing the Afflack duck job), but they're all still successful touring comics.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I think it may be a mistaken reference to Michelle Shocked going batshit at a concert.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is she not a comedian? My bad.

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Just as magnanimous as qtlaw is being in taking on the burden of letting others know they should be offended in this case.

11. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Of all the jokes Oswalt would get called on, they picked THIS one?

He has jokes on 9-11, gay pride parades for the mentally disabled, getting in a time machine and killing George Lucas with a shovel, described organized religion as"the old skycake dodge"...

But THIS was the one that Salon got huffy about?

As for Oswalt "I WANT ALL THE HAM!" is one of my favorite stand-up punch lines.

12. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

His riff on going back in time and talking to George Lucas about the Star Wars prequels is stellar.

I do think in this case he probably should have just sat it out.

Draft saved Draft deleted