1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salon and Paton Oswalt spar...over Asian joke

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BenPoquette, Jul 14, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That Salon piece is a pretty good example of what people mean when they refer to the Professionally Offended crowd.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Exactly.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Someone fix the spelling so Sonner can sleep tonight. :D

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

When do the jokes about the race/culture of those who think this is funny get told?

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Isn't this kind of a Borat-like thing, though? In other words, the point of the joke is that the TV station itself is so uncomfortable with Asian names that it didn't even read or question them. Borat wasn't a racist creation. He was created to illuminate the racism of those he came into contact with.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

It's more amusing than anything.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Which spelling, Patton Oswalt, Brian Posehn or Zach Galifianakis? Or are we more worried about the obviously sexist omission of Maria Bamford? I'm going to write a Salon.com article about this.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Beautiful. Is there a record for most consecutive failed attempts at spelling a person's name? Poquette has quite a streak going here.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Often.

Anybody offended by this silly little tweet is somebody who simply wants to be offended.

11. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Shit, if only you would have known who I was talking about, Stonie!

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sure I love to be offended. I'm just hoping that my kids and the next generation do not endure the racist taunts that prior generations received.

Did you or anyone in your family ever get told during a World Series game "Go back to Vietnam?" or "Why don't you go back to where you came from?" Or how about moving to a new neighborhood when you're 10 and getting the Charlie Chan treatment?

Sure, I just walk around looking to get offended.

I speak out about this to voice my protest against letting little taunts slip by as "acceptable" because that line will just keep slipping; history shows that.

Draft saved Draft deleted