1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salisbury (N.C.) Post print cutback

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tarheel316, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The Salisbury Post is reducing its print edition to 5 days a week, effective Aug. 11. The Post is dropping Saturday and Monday. That's too bad. It's a really good newspaper. Used to be owned by Post and Courier (Charleston). That was a nice little chain. But the Post got bought by Boone a few years. Boone slashes and burns just like most chains.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Boone was dreadful long before The Great Recession. Went through an interview - five hours - and offer process with them to verify. Poorly run.

3. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

No Saturday edition sucks, obviously. Right before football starts too.

They were bought by Boone in 2014 I think? Post and Courier held on to it probably longer than it needed to.

They're the 2nd paper in NC affected by tariffs. The Robesonian is saying the same thing is forcing it to cut its 8-page Sunday color comics section.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

On the subject of tariffs, I was talking to our publisher recently and he summed it up perfectly: "I was resigned to the fact that the internet would eventually kill us. I was not prepared for a 19th century-style trade war to finish us off."

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Is this the first Boone paper to cut back publishing frequency and a test case?

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Boone can impale itself on a rusty spike.

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Slash and burn baby!

8. sportsfan22

sportsfan22 New Member

No message from the Publisher saying "Our core mission remains the same......"

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No. I know of at least two other Boone papers in my area that did the same earlier this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted