1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salisbury, Mariotti and ESPN's John Walsh

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Whoa.

http://deadspin.com/how-two-infamous-ex-espners-benefited-from-a-bristol-vi-1598124472

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

When I worked there, it was well known John Walsh had the back of a lesser known female talent I sometimes produced. And sometimes her front, as well! The dude looked like a frail Santa Claus impersonator, but he always had eye candy hanging on him.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Wow. I doubt that piece will get much mileage with those outside of the business, but it sure was interesting.

ESPN has always been very selective about which employees would be disciplined for various discretions.

Tirico is the most obvious one. Berman is another, although I always got the sense that Berman's worst crimes were acting like a drunk idiot and not on the level of anything Tirico did.

The veiled reference to Hoppes in the Deadspin article reminded me that Hoppes is now the Marketing Director for the City of Casselberry, which is a tiny Orlando suburb. Somehow I doubt the swag from that job approaches what he got at the WWL, but I could be wrong.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

So, a guy got drunk at a bar, mildly embarrassed himself, then went upstairs to sleep.

Fascinating.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Albinos need ass too.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Incredible that two guys would use a social occasion (which was supposed to be mixed with business) to spend two hours filming an old man at a bar.
    Or is Deadspin even more pitiful for writing about it 2 1/2 years later.
    Two words come to mind: Who cares.

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

If neither of them is working for ESPN, why were both in Bristol? Not exactly a vacation spot.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The video, shot in January 2012 at the bar in the Wilshire Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif., and recently obtained by Deadspin, shows John Walsh, the 69-year-old godfather of ESPN's news operation, chatting up strangers while looking besotted and confused.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This sums my reaction as well. Just not seeing the cause for the wow responses here.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am a fan of Deadspin, but there is no 'there' there.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

ESPN has never had a worse on-air personality than Sean Salisbury.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Skip Bayless

Draft saved Draft deleted