1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salary

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thegrifter, Aug 31, 2006.

1. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Is there really such a thing as negotiating your salary when a sports job is offered to you? Or is it something where you have to tell them to meet your demands or you won't take the job?
    Thoughts.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure give it a shot, but be smart about it. I've had times when the original offer was firm and times when they went back and sweetened it.

Never threatened not to take it, though. That's sort of implied.

For example, they offer $30,000. You make $28,000. Offering editor makes a big show about you making $2,000 more a year.

You say, "Yeah, but we checked into the housing market there and we're going to come out behind in deal. $35,000 sounds more like it."

Then see what happens.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ace is right...
    If its another job in the area and you don't have to move, it's another. But if your cost of living goes up, you need to say you need more.
    65K might be great if the cost of living is lower. But when your 140K house in Town A becomes a 250K house in Town B, 65K isn;'t a raise, it's a pay cut.

4. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Lovin' the Google ads :D

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

at my shop, we don't really negotiate on the offers because we always offer the high end for the experience a person has.
    And, in my opinion, the offers are pretty fair compared to what a lot of people are making at other similar size papers.

6. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Definitely negotiate if you think you're worth more. They'll either make it clear that they don't agree, or it will become clear that they will not exceed certain payroll thresholds no matter what anyone does or says.

7. donaugust

donaugust Member

Yes.

8. joe

joe Active Member

If they're offering you the job, obviously they think highly of you. And if they won't negotiate with you on salary, how do you think they're going to be on raises?
    In my experience, the fucks who want a salary history are only trying to find out how cheap you'll come. I never give that. Offer me what you think I'm worth, and then we'll talk. Otherwise, fuck off. And during negotiations, never reveal what you're currently making. It's none of their business.
    Rant over. Thank you for listening.

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

Joe's living in a different world from me.
    Again, we offer the high end of the salary scale based on their experience and talent.
    If we offer 35k, you can be sure that it's a fair offer and it's probably not going any higher. my company isn't looking to see who they can higher for the cheapest salary.
    Personally, I would never cut corners on a hire to save a few bucks for the company.

10. joe

joe Active Member

2under,
    No offense meant. Just offering my own experience. I realize every place is different, and I had a job offer rescinded (or, more accurately, the hiring period went "dark") after I tried to negotiate for $4,000 more a year than they were offering. I figured if they met me halfway, that would be perfectly acceptable. I mean, if they want you, why not allow a little wiggle room? In the grand scheme of things, $2,000 or $4,000 more a year is big to the person but small to the company.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You shoulda told me this earlier, dammit.

Actually: Check that. I'm glad you didn't. ;)

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

Not only can and should salary be negotiated, but work all the angles on benefits (vacation, relocation) up front. There's always a range and flexibility, particularly if they want you enough. Even if they turn down your counters, you owe it to yourself to try. You think 2 percent raises will rock your world?

Draft saved Draft deleted