1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salary survey

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, Dec 24, 2007.

?

What year and salary range to you fall in?

1. 0-5 years <$25,000

12.5%
  2. 0-5 years $25,001 - 35,000

14.6%
  3. 0-5 years >35,001

8.4%
  4. 6-10 years <$30,000

4.7%
  5. 6-10 years $30,001 - $45,000

11.5%
  6. 6-10 years $45,001 - $60,000

7.3%
  7. 6-10 years >$60,001

5.0%
  8. 11-15 years <$45,000

2.3%
  9. 11-15 years $45,001 - $60,000

5.0%
  10. 11-15 years $60,001 - $85,000

5.2%
  11. 11-15 years >$85,001

1.8%
  12. 16-20 years <$60,000

2.6%
  13. 16-20 years >$80,000

3.4%
  14. 21-25 years <$60,000

2.9%
  15. 21-25 years $60,001-$80,000

2.3%
  16. 21-25 years $80,001 - $100,000

1.0%
  17. 21-25 years >$100,000

1.8%
  18. >25 years <$60,000

1.6%
  19. >25 years $60,001 - $80,000

2.3%
  20. >25 years $80,001-$100,000

1.8%
  21. >25 years >$100,001

1.8%
  1. 85bears

85bears Member

Is money that important when you're getting to do what you love? It's not like we're starving. Plenty of people are far worse off.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm surprised at the biggest group, not so much the money, just the number of younger people we have here.

As for having enough money, until my child/college support ends in 2010, I'm going to continue to live well beyond my means, and that's just the way it is. I'm just not the kind of person who can go straight home after work every night and eat at home. Ain't gonna happen. So many of you will learn that if you're going to have families and typical social progression or whatever, you might never have enough money these days. I know people who do it -- but not many.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I'm absolutely appalled.
    So, you're telling me there are no options for 0-5 years, 100K+?
    Fuck this. I knew I should have gave up this crap a long time ago. ;)

4. I know you're kidding, but I am surprised to see so many <5ers making over $30,000. We might have to scrap this thread and start a new one with a better poll - based on some of the interesting numbers coming in.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I feel awfully fortunate. There was a period of about nine months when I started my job that I felt a money crunch. After that, it's been comfortable. I'd like to think i would have stuck with this anyway. I don't know.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Doing what you love and making a living wage are not mutually exclusive.

7. fishwrapper

I'm a little surprised that a college-educated person performing a professional, skilled task makes so little.
    But, I see it quite a bit. When we have an opening, I see first-hand the salary ranges across the country.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

It's a seller's market in a profession that never paid well in the first place.

9. fishwrapper

It's true. So, true.
    I was speaking to a group of fellows/merits (it's a program our chain has without getting too specific). It's a group of well-schooled, well-educated applicants. (Well-schooled and well-educated are not the same, but I digress).
    Anyhow, our chain places them among our papers, pays them, sees how well they do. It's actually a wonderful program, and they by the time they get to me their numbers have been dwindled from thousands to dozens.
    It was a Question and Answer session. I enjoy them. And, at this point, I'm pretty prepared for what's coming.
    I consider myself fairly hip. Still fairly young. So, I still have a remote connection to the kids.
    But, as always, I'm frank. I'm as honest as I can be. I'm not a dream smasher. But, these days every kid thinks they're the next Wilbon or Kornheiser.
    One young lady stood up. She made it clear her in an earlier session her ambitions. Which were quite, um, ambitious. Which is fine.
    She asked a question. Which I forget. But, it was framed around a statement, which I will never forget.
    She said there isn't a first-year journalism job in America that pays more than the cost of the last year of her BA.
    I was amazed. So amazed I started asking others in the group. There were quite a few in the group who would fall into this precarious situation.
    The session moderator was upset, but I was intrigued. Usually that's all that matters. ;)

10. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

19 years (Jesus Christ, where did the fucking time go? At least I don't have that dream anymore where I have a final for a class I forgot to drop) — 43-45K, depending on bonuses. And the admiration and adoration of my publisher and vice president. For what that's worth.

11. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Salary is all relative to where you live. I made $60K working my ass off with lousy hours in New England, my wife made $62K working five days a week, and we were able to afford a 900-square-foot house in a working-class neighborhood. I make close to $40K now working about one-third as hard at a weekly, my wife makes $50K working three days a week, and we have a PAID FOR 3,000 square-foot home that cost about $100,000 less than the home in New England would cost today, as well as a weekend home on the Great Lakes, where we go about every other weekend.

More leisure time, as the card commercial said = priceless.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Wow. Not surprised, but ... wow.

Draft saved Draft deleted