1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salary Requirements

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator_Hawks, Feb 4, 2012.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Also, try and understand the various circumstances of the place that you are applying to/interviewing with. If the position has been open for months, they probably want a low salary more than anything else.

Slight thread-jack: I was contacted by an outlet a few years ago, the day AFTER they fired the person I would eventually replace.

They didn't advertise the fact they fired the predecessor during the interview. They skirted around the opening but I knew they were desperate. I figured it out on post-interview research.

They said they needed a replacement within 12 days of my interview.

At the time, I was making 50k. This new job, I figured, *should* pay 55k tops. I'm not expecting anything and, during the interview, I'm pretty loose.

I didn't need this new job and was perfectly happy where I was. The next week, they offer 61k. I say "no". An hour later...64k. I say "no". An hour later... 68k.

Again, "no".

Finally, they ask, "what would it take to get a yes?"

"Three years. Starting at 75."

Ten minutes later, "we'll do 75. But we want you here in a week."

I was there in five days.

Downside: I have a massive target on my back now because of my salary. I "best be" findin' me a bigger outlet in the next year.

Draft saved Draft deleted