1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salary Requirements at a New Job

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Brooklyn Bridge, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Hey folks,

In the process of applying for a new position, I was asked to submit a salary requirement. I certainly don't want to embarrass myself by asking for what I make in journalism, but I don't want to price myself out of contention for the position. I also want to be paid for what my experience (years in the business, and college degree is worth) It seems to be a pretty delicate situation and I don't want to take myself out of the running.

Its a communications/Public relations position at a non-profit for what its worth.

Any ideas on how to respond? Thanks.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

"Negotiable" Don't give a number first, no matter how hard they try to get you to.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Agreed. It's just a way for companies to get you to lowball yourself. Nothing good can come from you giving them salary requirements. Either you price yourself out of consideration or you end up accepting less than what they would have likely been willing to pay.

Go through the interview process. If they offer you the job, then you talk money. Force THEM to make the first salary offer and negotiate from there.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

This question ought to be unconstitutional. I've never heard back from any job where I've been asked for salary requirements, and I've played it every way possible.
    I used to either ignore it or say "negotiable," but when I was out of work, my career adviser told me I absolutely, positively had to answer.
    I make less than half as much at my current job, so I just tell them what I made at my previous job, and say essentially, "I understand I might not be making that much to start, but I'd like to reasonably close to that number. Privately, I'd accept 65-75 percent of the difference.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Never, never give the first number. Put it back on them, saying something like "you obviously know what you are looking to pay, I'm more comfortable hearing that from you first." If they balk, take that as a very big sign that it might not be a good place to work.

6. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

I hate when they ask.

1. I'm embarrassed by what I make in journalism.
    2. No way a non-newspaper job is paying less than what I'm already getting (unless I go back to fast food), so I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and take less money than they may have offered.

Draft saved Draft deleted