1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salary Question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator_Hawks, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Gator_Hawks

Gator_Hawks Member

I know the size of the school/sports program and experience are a part of the equation, but can anyone give me a ballpark figure on the salary for a Asst. Sports Information Director at a big, yet non-BCS school.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

$30K-$35K?

Just guessing.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

If it's a public school it should be readily available.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not too far off. My first SID job, I made $17k, but that was a long, long, long time ago and gas was less than a dollar a gallon, rent was $350 per month. It obviously depends on the school and the experience level of the person, but I would say low 30s is pretty reasonable.

One thing about SID jobs is schools know they can get young people who just graduated, maybe did an internship or grad assistantship and are willing to work extremely cheap. So, why would you offer $35k if you have people beating your door down at $25k?

5. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

Mark is - basically - correct. I have a few friends doing this at Mid-Majors and make 23k - 28k. Two of them are also students going for their Master's.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Is this Al Horford?

7. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

That's a correct ballpark figure. There is occasionally some wiggle room, but not always. Private schools are also more likely to give annual raises.

If the school is in a larger city with a higher cost of living, that's also taken into account as well, so you would see a much higher figure in that scenario. Many Division I colleges are in smaller cities and towns where that salary isn't terrible and you can do OK.

Depending on the school and the specific team you work with, there are numerous perks available (from clothing to frequent meals), and the public schools offer good benefits. Some universities even offer comp time for working during holidays - you can cash that out in some cases. In others, you get additional time off - however, I've never worked at a school where "time off" has been a factor. You just take whatever you need to take, so long as you're present for games and events.

Tuition assistance (if you're considering a graduate program) varies from 3-6 credit hours per semester, depending on the university. You're taxed on that, should you take advantage, but it's still a nice benefit.

Not the worst gig in the world, depending on the school and administration. The larger the school, the better quality of life an assistant SID has, in my opinion (fewer sport responsibilities=fewer hours worked for free). Mid and low-majors can be tough.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sometimes you can get on-campus housing, which obviously cuts out a huge expense and leaves you more disposable income.

Draft saved Draft deleted