1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

salary negotiations

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BRoth, Sep 25, 2006.

1. BRoth

BRoth Member

So I'm getting ready for applying for my first regular gig out college and a lot of the job descriptions ask for salary requirements. I realize that this more or less gives the paper an opportunity to low ball me, but what's the best way to address this?

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Before they offer you the job, it is always negotiable. In your head, know the minimum you would accept, but never tell them that.

Once you get the offer, think about it. Do whatever research you can. Figure out if you have any kind of leverage and be prepared to use it, because it will be one of the few times you will have an upper hand. Don't be afraid to ask for a reasonable amount more (no more than 5% more) and have articulable reasons for asking for more.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

don't.

4. If you have to state salary requirements, say "My salary requirements are negotiable."

Hold them off for as long as possible, and make them throw the first number out there. If pressed, ask them if they could give you what they feel is an acceptable range for the position.

(This happened to me in a recent salary negotiation. Luckily, I was able to make them say the first number, which - shockingly - happened to be about $10K above what I expected.) Your starting salary will rarely be higher than the first number you say, for obvious reasons.

5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I hate this aspect of the job search. I recently got a new gig and of course they asked for salary requirements. I gave a range and they met me within that range. It's a decent -- but not great -- raise over my last stop. Still, I really can't help but think I could have received a little more. Part of the problem is I'm in a different part of the business in a different part of the country. So I was a little unsure just how high, or low, to go with my "requirement." Human resources indicated during the interview process what they thought the position would go for, and I was in a positive range there. So I think I came out OK, but still wondering some. It's certainly a fun game, the whole salary thing. It's definitely wise to dig and find out what the position usually goes for, even if you might have to ask them directly.

6. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Usually, there's a little bit of give, although if it's your first gig I wouldn't expect them to tolerate much haggling unless you have leverage or serious cred. If you want to ask for more than they're going to offer/are offering, be sure you can present a comprehensive list of reasons why you deserve more than the average bear.

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

since you're a newbie, you don't have much leverage. Be careful what you turn down (or ask for), because there are probably 50 other resumes on the sports ed's desk.

8. tommyp

tommyp Member

Hey Colonel: Did you negotiate that figure, too? Or did you accept it? Deets, please...

9. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

True dat. Unfortunately, during our last hiring process I was given a number I could offer and that was it. Had the guy I went with turned it down, there were a good handful of other applicants who had exactly the same qualifications. We would have just moved on. Sounds harsh that way, but at a small paper there just isn't much wiggle room. I would suspect it would be a different case at a larger paper.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Here's how salary negotiations in this climate would go...

Hiring editor - We are offering 25 K
    You -I'd like to get 27K if possible
    Hiring editor -- Next.....

Draft saved Draft deleted