1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salary History

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jackson Sundown, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Looking at journalism and PR jobs, they often ask for salary history/requirements in addition to everything else. How do you handle this? The reason I might be interested in another job is because I don't make anything right now. Do you lie about your current salary, ommitt this from your application packet or be up front that gas attendants are making out better than sports writers these days?

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Before writing anything down, or saying how much I make, I always totalled my hourly (or salary) wage, mileage, overtime, freelance work and bonuses from the entire calendar year before. I then divide it all by a 37.5-hour work week (gives you a bigger number than 40 hours) over the course of a year and say that's what I'm making per hour. Technically, you are.

Then, if the prospective company matches it or offers more, you come out ahead.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

shit man, keep shooting for the stars.

4. Pi

Pi Member

Or just staple copies of your last five W-2s to your resume.

5. donnie23

donnie23 Member

Never give a salary history, if you can avoid it. They can't legally require you to disclose it and you give up any negotiating power you might have if you get an offer.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And just add a line in the cover letter that salary is negotiable.

That way it looks like you were paying attention to the job description and what they wanted from you. And it doesn't tie you down to a number.

7. WSKY

WSKY Member

With your formula, I'm making five bucks more an hour. Should I tell my wife I just got a raise?

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

No WSKY, spoil yourself.

All I'm saying is this: I've done it three times now, and all three times the new place paid more per hour (in actual salaray, before mileage etc.) than the last place did with all income combined.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Good points by the early responders.

The reason they want to know your salary history is to determine if they can get you for the job at less than they are planning to pay for it.

Never, ever, ever give salary history in an initial application for a job. Do what Hank mentions to acknowledge you are following directions

Otherwise, you may as well show up at the inteview in a pink siut, clown shoes and with a yellow post it note on your forehead reading either 'patsy' or 'fool'.

10. FYI, a lot of places have gone to online applications (not so much newspapers, but things like state govt, universities, etc), and salary history is a required field. Your app won't send unless you fill it in. But the purpose is the same: To see how cheaply you can be had. Definitely factor in your OT, bonuses, freelance work, etc., to get that number up. It gripes me when places know what their salary range will be but withhold it from the ad and say "NA" or "negotiable."

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Absolutely the way to do it... When I made my last job switch (several years ago...), they asked me how much I was making. At the time I was making about $42K, but had made about $8K in freelance and radio so I said, "I made $50K last year." They then offered me $57K to start, which I'm guessing is more than it would have been if I told them my salary was $42K.

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

yeah, i never mention salary history. plus, the other tip is if they make you an offer and it's more than you expect, go ahead and try negotiating for some extra vacation days. those are usually easier to give away than a raise in pay.

Draft saved Draft deleted