1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saints vs Tebow Breaking News: Coincidence or Orchestrated?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

And it's a coincidence that The White House only releases bad news very late on Friday's.

Given that The NFL is known to control their message, this is a reasonable discussion.

2. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Even the casual fan knows the NFL was waiting for the major FA signings and Peyton to go down before it dropped the Saints suspensions. I assume the player suspensions will be similarly timed.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think the NFL released the Saints suspensions knowing that Tebow was going to be traded that day.

Did they know that the deal would momentarily fall apart and everybody was going to be following the Tebow trade for the entire afternoon? I doubt that.

I live nowhere near Denver, New York or Florida and the level of interest people had in the Tebow trade was amazing.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I don't agree with much of this.

Why would the NFL want the Saints story buried? Goodell did "the right thing," they're standing up for players, they're reining in Evil Doers. And frankly, nobody is that dumb. You can't believe you're going to fly under the radar by fining an NFL club $500,000, suspending the coach for a year, the GM for eight games, the assistant head coach six games, the departed DC indefinitely and taking draft picks too. If they thought that ... well, I simply don't think they thought that.

I truly believe it was a total coincidence, and no way Tebow was going to dwarf this news.

I will say that the two stories happening within minutes of each other created one of the craziest, busiest days of my career, and that's (counting part time) 37 years.

(Hard to type that.)

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

In light of lawsuits by former players, I'd think the NFL would want to get the message out loud and clear that we're not effing around when it comes to bounties and violence (at least this time). I can't think of a single editor who thinks Tebow tops the Saints in terms of story value (hometown papers excepted).

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Divine coincidence.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

NFLN led the 10 p.m. Total Access with Tebow, not the bounties.

The league didn't want to upstage the Super Bowl or February combine, and needed a breather. So it waited until the second day of March.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Perhaps. But I still don't believe they timed it to coincide with the Tebow thing.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The NFL has been so sensitive about this Saints thing they pulled an airing of the Minnesota/New Orleans title game weeks ago.

A game that basically stands as prima facie evidence that there was funny business going on.

Why did it take three weeks to announce the ruling?

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Boom: I respect you a great deal, but I really disagree on this one, and it bothers me that people always have to see conspiracies.

I am simply not seeing it that way.

I would think they wanted the Saints thing pumped up as big as possible, and the Jets wanted to get the trade out quickly to start selling tickets.

I will admit, it may be my background as a journalist, but I think you want to get news out as quickly as possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted