1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saints/Hornets to leave city? How serious is this?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Feb 10, 2009.

1. micke77

micke77 Member

Mark...save for growing up in a military atmosphere, I've lived my whole life in Louisiana. and you are right...it can push the envelope for an over quota of morons...education here is largely a joke and too many folks have their priorities totally screwed up. with that said, it's still a fascinating state to live in and evaluate, whatever faults may rest here. i get put out a lot with dealing with some of these "morons", but I deal with it, move on and get my job done. it can be a test in patience, trust me.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

I would add that the Los Angeles metro area is probably less interested in the NFL than the NFL is in Los Angeles. An expansion or moved team might draw well for a couple of years as a novelty and from fans of visiting teams, but after three or four years there would be a question about whether the team would get enough support. There doesn't seem to be a lot of energy among regular people who want an NFL team; all the effort is from developers like Roski and Anschutz.

If you put a Division 1 team in the Mexican soccer league in Los Angeles, just like major league baseball has the Toronto Blue Jays north of the Canadian border, the Mexican League team might outdraw the NFL team.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Your parents should have asked for a refund.

4. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Los Angeles has had teams and like someone just posted if LA supports them for more then 2-3 years with a record like the Raiders or god forbid the Lions LA would drop them like hot cakes. LA has never and will never be a city that supports a losing team.

I also agree that most people in LA does not want a team in LA but the thing is if LA got the Saints.

A. would the city of N.O. Keep the brand?
    B. Regie Bush would be a draw for a while
    C. They need a winning record to survive.

Plus, we get better games on TV because we don't have a team. I would love a team but do we have 70.000 others who agree for 8 weeks out of the year?

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Isn't that the truth pretty much anywhere? What did the Lions average in attendance last year?

Most any city is going to jump on the bandwagon if the team is winning. Do you think a losing team in LA is going to be worse off than the same team in Detroit, Atlanta or Tampa? LA has a much bigger population base to draw from. Just don't get a stadium like the coliseumwith 95,000 seats or you'll rarely sell out.

Speaking of which, I wonder what the Lions are going to draw in Detroit next fall, given the recession there and the level of play and such?

Draft saved Draft deleted