1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saints/Hornets to leave city? How serious is this?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The Hornets just dumped Chandler and his contract for basically nothing. They can't be doing too well.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

No way a team goes to Anaheim, unless it's the Clippers. Or unless the Clippers set sail out of southern California.

San Jose? Doubtful as long as the Warriors are in the Bay Area.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

There's no way St. Louis can support four major-league teams. It's the Cardinals first, anyway. Kansas City might be considered a better shot, despite a past failure, because at least there's no direct winter competitor.

4. micke77

micke77 Member

Albert77.....being a resident of Louisiana and having covered sports here for gosh knows how many years, plus having witnessed more political corruption and crap that you can shake a crawfish at, the mindset of so many folks in these here parts is: keep sports and to hell with some of the educational money.
    I mean, we're either last or dead last in education, at the bottom or near it in poverty, etc.
    post-katrina hasn't helped, of course, but again--Cajun country wants its sports and they'd likely be more pissed if he took money away from that rather than raising the educational barometer.
    just my observation as a veteran resident of the Bayou State.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Micke, I'm a South Miss guy, lived in N.O. for 4 years back in the '80s and my sister lives in BR, so I know the state well, and, unfortunately, you're probably right. It's kind of like Rome in ancient times, only instead of bread and circuses, it's beer and football.

The one factor that I don't think anyone has considered is the opinion of folks in N. Louisiana. They're the ones who would bitch the loudest if the state spent money to bail out sports teams in N.O. As you're probably well aware, most folks up there would just as soon see the Gulf swallow up the whole SE corner of the state and be done with it.

6. micke77

micke77 Member

Albert...I couldn't agree more. Cuz I have heard plenty of the very same moaning you've mentioned. As you well know, Louisiana is actually two "countries": North and South. After you roll through Alexandria in the middle, whether going North or South, everything transforms right before your eyes for the most part: lifestyle, accents, etc.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

With a brand-new arena with no regular tenant, KC is making goo-goo eyes at the NHL. KC, of course, has already 'failed' in both the NBA and NHL. Everything else being equal, an NBA team would make more sense. Kansas City can probably support one winter sport, but not both.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm not sure from a KC perspective if the NBA makes more sense. It's a college basketball town with one of the country's best programs just outside the metro area. I don't know that an NBA team would compete with KU, and to a lesser degree MU, for bucks from corporate KC or Joe Fan.

Hockey would be different. There's nothing like it in or near KC. The minor league teams have historically drawn well and the NHL used to get good TV ratings there compared to other markets without a team. I don't know if that's still the case, but it used to be.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Actually, Micke, I recall reading the definitive biography of Uncle Earl Long many years ago, and it was the writer's contention that Louisiana was a lot like France in that it is three parts: the North, the South and the City. Which really makes sense, if you think about it. But you're right about the cultural divide around Alexandria; it's like passing from one country to another.

10. micke77

micke77 Member

Albert......i need to read that book on Uncle Earl, who was quite a character from what my Louisiana political historians have told me.
    But yes, come to think of it, it would be: North, South and the City.
    Alexandris is the Great Dividing Point, to be sure. I always notice that once I leave Alexandria on I-49 and heading south...

11. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

My family that way always said the state was split into Southern Arkansas, Acadiana and New Orleans. That about covers it.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Used to live there myself until, my the grace of God, I escaped.

Bunch of ignorant morons. Three decades ago, they weren't spending money on education, either, so my parents had to put my brother and I in private schools. And people were wearing bags over their heads at Saints' game, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted