1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saints and LSU reporters, NOLA Media Group

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by occasionally, Jun 16, 2012.

1. cworsh4

cworsh4 Member

I'm hearing that the LSU job will supplement Kleinpeter and will be based in Baton Rouge with a remote work location. I've also heard they're holding out for someone with a bit of experience on a major D1 beat in a daily, so I wouldn't expect any new grads to get this one, barring a truly exceptional collegiate resume. But look for someone to be hired very soon on that front.

As for the sports reporter position, yes, it is geared at writing articles reported by other media outlets. It'll be an effort to get immediate reaction to big interviews, like Drew Brees going on Mike & Mike to talk contract stuff. This should tell you a good deal about the direction Nola Media Group is going, whether you like that direction or not. Personally, I think it's probably a smart business move, but it certainly brings up some questions of journalistic ethics and practices in the new media landscape.

We'll see how it works out. I don't know much about MLive. I will admit I am sad to see the dead tree edition of the TP gone for over half the week.

2. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

3. kamikaze021

kamikaze021 Member

What about the chances of those who covered the top JUCO football program for four years, including the soon to be starting quarterback for the Geaux' Tigers?

4. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

No worse than the Geaux Tigers chances of crossing the 50 in the national championship game. Unlike them, you might as well toss one deep and see what happens.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Larry Holder got the Saints job. Good, good dude. Worked with him during my year at CBS

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

That's great news. Larry was the Saints beat guy at the Biloxi Sun-Herald until they eliminated that position in a series of staff reductions. Glad to hear he's back in the game.

7. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I worked with him down there and the guy worked that beat like a master. Congrats Larry.

8. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

It appears this job, or another Saints job, is open: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1388735

9. ericedholm

ericedholm New Member

@ boundforboston you beat me to it ... was just about to post. Something happen with Larry? Or are they adding a spot? Curious ... not for me, but I know others who have applied.

10. mcleme9

mcleme9 New Member

That may an old link or something ... there's nothing on Nola.com's website about the Saints spot being open again

11. I don't know about the Saints job, but I know they were still looking for more digital sports reporters as of a week and a half ago.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't see this job listed but I got some more great news today. Been a great day for former FanHouse colleagues. My friend Terrance Harris will start an enterprise gig in NOLA next month. Very happy for him. Terrance was on my team at FanHouse. Great guy, terrific reporter, hard worker. Big congrats.

Draft saved Draft deleted