1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saints and LSU reporters, NOLA Media Group

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by occasionally, Jun 16, 2012.

1. occasionally

occasionally Member

Hard to believe, but the same group that just laid off 200 on Tuesday is advertising for a Saints beat writer and an LSU beat writer by the end of that same week. Word is that James Varney, who's covered Saints the last 2-3 years, is moving from sports to politics. Not sure if they're adding a second person in Baton Rouge or if Jim Kleinpeter is changing beats.
    http://nola.jobinfo.com/public/description.php?jid=9905806
    http://nola.jobinfo.com/public/description.php?jid=9905807

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Time for the jackals to pounce on low-paying jobs.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm sure if you have better options for some of those jackals, Stitch, they'd crane their necks to hear you.

4. LitteringAnd

LitteringAnd Member

So, is Kevin Spain or Marcus Carmouche going to be running the show in this new era? Or someone else completely?

5. slc10

slc10 Member

Oh the intelligence :p of the suits. I wish I was very naive that way I wouldn't know what is going on there. I am without a gig because of stuff done to me and I don't know how I would feel taking a job from somebody who just let go.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If you think that other guy wouldn't take your old job, you aren't as world-worn as you think you are.

Geezus.

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

If only every newspaper job opening was created by the previous writer moving up to a better newspaper job. It's been a while since we've had that.

8. Jeff Duncan is moving over to a sports columnist spot, per his Twitter account. Pretty sure he was the Saints reporter.

9. Natchez

Natchez New Member

My understanding:
    Kleinpeter has been offered a job to stay as LSU beat writer. This "new" job would basically replace his backup position, which was never filled when James Varney left the beat to take on the Saints beat.

As for the "new" Saints job, Varney has been offered a political columnists position and this is the lead beat writer. Still 3 people covering the Saints on a daily basis.

10. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

there are more sports jobs than those two...

http://jobs.nola.com/jobs/search/results?CompanyId=841047&page=1

interesting line in the one for sports reporter

"This individual will monitor radio and television interviews with popular players, expert analysis from ESPN and other outlets, and write articles on those interviews."

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This could kill Bleacher Report.

12. DancesWithDirt

DancesWithDirt New Member

It's the same ownership group and same model as MLive up in Michigan. Careers were ruined, blood was spilled, incompetent youngsters were kept in lieu of talented and knowledgeable veterans, but they did fill pro and college beats for the web site which I heard pay fairly well. So, it worked out well for some people, but horribly for many others - including readers who constantly tell me how much they hate the remnants of the newspapers they have read their entire lives.

Draft saved Draft deleted