1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sage advice from the web idiots

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Killick, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

So, it seems the Columbus Dispatch had some California consultants in to help them make their website more effective. The advice that came down: Web reports need only to be first, not accurate.

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/insight/stories/2009/10/11/Ben1011.ART_ART_10-11-09_G1_PLFAC0N.html?sid=101

I hope the Dispatch stiffed the assholes when the bill came due.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Unfortunately, it's a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't scenario with the general public. If you're not first, they bitch because they want any info you have. If you are first, and you're wrong, John Q. Public says, "Why don't you get the facts straight before publishing something."

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

So be right the first time.

Work smarter!

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

But if you're not first, it doesn't matter.

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Sigh.

So be right the first time.

Work smarter!

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

If you're not first, you're last.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Work faster, not smarter.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Do people really keep a tally of who is "first" anymore?

I mean, I understand if ESPN.com has something on Monday, and you don't have it until Thursday. That sucks.

But if ESPN.com posts something at 11:14 a.m., and you post your version at 11:16, who gives a shit? All that tells me is that someone at ESPN.com is a faster typist.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I have to wonder how you can hire a consultant and have this sort of thing come as any kind of surprise. Micro-problems that are specific to your market and the consultant's recommendations for addressing them, those should come as a surprise. General philosophy, you should be able to discern that during your due diligence before you make a decision to retain the consultant. If the consultant does not understand your company's fundamental values, then you either have hired a bad consultant or you have done an exceedingly shitty job of explaining the rules of engagement in that market before the consultant began his work for you. If you do not have an understanding of the consultant's general thinking on previous projects and you do not explain beforehand which lines cannot be crossed, you have no one to blame but yourself.

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Well stated...unless your lagging way behind I don't think speed is the do-all, end-all. Getting it correct is paramount...most web-surfers will check through their faves on a daily basis (if not more often)...if you're a credible source, you will make the list and people will trust what they see.

I think most people remember if a site/publication is continually putting out misinformation.

11. times38

times38 Member

I really don't think anyone cares who has something first. as long as you have it.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'll be damned...

who knew Ohioans could read?

Draft saved Draft deleted