1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saddest Song of 70s??

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Feb 3, 2017.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No list of bad story-songs is complete without "Billy, Don't Be A Hero."

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

There had to be a conversion while they were writing it that basically went
    "Is this song missing something?"
    "I don't know. Al Capone. Dead cops. Momma crying. Dad coming home. Feels like we got it all ..."
    "Nah it's missing something. ... I've got it! Yakety Sax! "
    "Yakety Sax? Brilliant!"

HC likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Similar to the South Detroit reference in "Don't Stop Believing."

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Otherwise known as "Lake Erie."

Or Windsor.

5. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

And "Indiana Wants Me" too.

6. albert777

albert777 Active Member

The Grateful Dead have a whole sub-section of sad/melancholy songs: Black Peter, Stella Blue, Brokedown Palace to name a few. But the saddest/melancholiest of them all was Wharf Rat, about an old dockyard bum, "blind and dirty; asked me for a dime, a dime for a cup of coffee." At the end, it seems likely that the narrator, who seemingly hears his story, actually is August West, the wharf rat in question. IMO, it's the best song Jerry Garcia and Robert Hunter ever wrote.

And, yes, Taxi is easily in the Top 5. Such a sad song of longing and regret.

Also, I saw someone mention John Prine earlier, and one of his songs about death doesn't play like it. Please Don't Bury Me has a jaunty, uptempo rhythm in a major key. Basically, the guy dies suddenly ("you slipped upon the floor and hit yo' head,") and his final thoughts are for everyone to, "cut me up and pass me all around." And for everyone to kiss his ass on his way out the door. Classic Prine.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

For anyone who has either lost a father or is father to a growing son, Cat's in the Cradle.
    Also a model of great lyrical storytelling.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I never knew there was a sequel to "Taxi", looked it up on YouTube, didn't do much for me.

Of course, Mason Reese didn't think much of "Cat's in the Cradle"....(you gotta be at least 50 to get that reference)

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

10. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

Indeed. Also deserving mention are Cher's trifecta of #1 songs - Gypsies Tramps and Thieves, Half Breed, and Dark Lady. I read somewhere that The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia was written for her as well, but she passed on it and it was offered to Vicki Lawrence.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Closing theme to Good Times. Repeats many of the same lyrics from the open, but in a far less cheerful tone. Plus this opening ...

Just looking out of the window
    Watching the asphalt grow
    Thinking how it all looks hand-me-down

poindexter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted