1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saddest sitcom moments

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Sep 15, 2006.

?

What was the saddest moment in sitcom history?

1. Dog dies after waiting forever for his owner: Futurama

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
  2. Sandy dies after DUI accident: Growing Pains

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Nick's dog dies: Family Ties

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  4. Alex Keaton's friend dies: Family Ties

5 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. Henry's plane crashes: MASH

38 vote(s)
    56.7%
  6. Coach admits he knew his dying player was on roids: Coach

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  7. Will gets shot: Fresh Prince

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. Boner joins the Army: Growing Pains

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  9. None of the above (list your choice; will add options if necessary)

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
  1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

FWIW ... "Saddest moment in sitcom history" in quotes gives you zero hits on Google.

We're breaking new ground here.

2. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Yep, as the helicopter lifts up and you see the rocks on the ground...well then it gets tough to read what they say.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Henry Blake dying was one of the saddest.
    So was the 8 Simple Rules where John Ritter died.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

What about that time on "South Park" when Kenny died?

Sorry. Had to do it. :)

And wasn't Sandy played by Matthew Perry? (Hi, Sandy!)

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Not sure I'd call MASH a sitcom. It really was more of a dramedy, but I'm parsing words there.

Henry Blake's death is by far the saddest. Who knew, however, it was a harbinger for the rest of McLean Stephenson's career?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Those types of interviews always crack me up. Fred Gwynne, who played Herman Munster was like that. He fancied himself a Shakesperian actor, not Herman Munster. Same exact situation... About 15 or 20 years ago, Howard Stern sent Stuttering John out to interview Gwynne. Gwynne had some paintings showing somewhere. He was an artist. They didn't realize John was from Howard Stern. They just thought he was from a radio station. They told him before the interview, if he asked about Herman Munster, the interview was over. First question:

"Do you sign you paintings 'Fred Gwynne' or 'Herman Munster?' "

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Can't believe no one has mentioned when Ricky wouldn't let Lucy be in the show.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What was wrong with Hello, Larry?

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I think the MASH people hated being regulated to sitcom status, but that stupid laugh track was on there for at least 10 out of the 11 seasons. (Unsure about 11 - that's the only one I don't have on DVD yet). I hated the laugh track.

On some special I saw about Henry's death (might be the DVD), I learned that the cast members didn't know he was going to die. They thought it ended when he left on the helicopter.

Everyone thought filming was done, but they were called back for one more scene in OR. Until Radar came in with the announcement, the cast members didn't know, so their reaction was real. There's dead silence until an actor drops something accidentally, then life goes on.

Clearly, I'm a MASH fan so my vote goes there. I don't even remember most of the other events, even though I did watch some of the shows.

10. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

There was an episode of Taxi in which Alex gets back his dog, but the dog gets sick and dies at the end. The last shot of the show is Alex alone in the garage sitting on the bench crying with the leash in his hand. Still chokes me up.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure MASH had a laugh track all 11 seasons. Only the "serious" episodes didn't have them. Especially later on.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I saw one where Larry Gelbart said after they'd done the scene that Larry Linville looked at him and said, "You bastard, you just won an Emmy."

Draft saved Draft deleted