1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sad time for the Tar Heels

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NightOwl, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Yep, that was her. RIP Jayne.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

It's been a mixture of both. The more violent crimes, though, seem to always be done by those from outside of campus.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Those that have and those that have not is growing wider and wider each day.

No Child Left Behind is starting to be felt in society, and it really scares me.

4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Dre, I'm not trying to be a dick, but what other violent crime has happened at UNC this semester? I'm assuming that's the campus you're talking about given your handle. I'm on campus everyday, read the paper cover to cover, and I can't think of any other violent crime of note.

If we're talking only about Chapel Hill, I don't buy the increasing prevalence argument. In the 90s campus was much less safe than it is today. Nobody had cellphones, the blue boxes weren't as common, the arboretum was an overgrown scary place and Wendell Williamson went nuts on Henderson Street.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Despite my handle, I'm talking about a different campus. The handle is because of my fan allegiance, not the actual school.

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Gotcha. And a big my bad, dude.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I know the area well and it saddens me that something like this can happen in Chapel Hill. Obviously the guy asked her for her PIN before he killed her, but didn't consider that there might be a camera at the ATM. Maybe its because I'm old, but the suspect looks so young. It's sad all around.

Classy of the Cameron Crazies during Gameday. They were yelling, screaming and jumping up and down while the ESPN guys were talking about the game. Then when they started talking about the slain student body president, they all sat down and were quiet.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

No worries. Honest mistake.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

This damn story infuriates me.
    Sorry MFs with no regard for human life
    Gang banging, bullshit MFs, most of the time.
    Anyway you slice it, just plain infuriates me.
    Find the MF responsible for this and the Auburn tragedy and fry them.

Immediately.

GD I'm pissed! How tragic can you get.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Arrested a suspect in the Auburn case.

11. How many times does this have to happen before people stop saying, and the media stop reporting, how surprised they are that "this" could happen "here."
    It can happen anywhere.
    I fear, however, that what's really being said is that "this" SHOULD JUST happen "there."

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Well you work hard your entire life so that your children do not have to cross paths with those who kill for little to no reason, and, yes, I think it should not happen where I live.

It's for deaths like this that the "driving while black" mindset is set in some police officers, IMHO.

Draft saved Draft deleted