1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sad, sad story on Darrell Royal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Had no idea about this. Was his battle with Alzheimer's common knowledge? (the story doesn't really say)

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/royals-fight-alzheimers-hope-raise-money

EDIT: I guess if he's got an Alzheimer's foundation, the story has been out there. But I'd somehow never heard it.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Had heard of it once or twice in recent years.

Have a family member with Alzheimer's. Hard thing to deal with.

3. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Sad stuff. The generation, especially among football coaches, that survived the Depression and fought World War II is rapidly leaving us. Don't these diseases know that when the body dies, they do too?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

His wife finally went public with his issues earlier this year when they announced the creation of an Alzheimer's research fund. Up to that point it was something that was "known" but not confirmed or talked about much.

5. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

My grandfather and my great-grandmother died of Alzheimer's. It just robs you of your loved ones, one memory at a time. When neither one remembered who I was, it broke my heart.

I hate that for Darrell Royal. Always had great respect for him as a coach, but even more when he decided to leave the rat race and enjoy the rest of his life. Smart man.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Alzheimer's really, truly sucks.

But it also adds to my fascination with the human brain. That Royal, in his mind, can go back to a time where his deceased son and daughter are still alive is not such a bad thing to me. Sure, they're not really alive. But it sure adds fuel to the idea that just about everything in life is a "state of mind."

I don't think we'll ever fully understand the human brain.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Very sorry to hear about this. Royal is one of the all-time greats.

8. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Royal was led to believe, well into his adult life, that his mother died giving birth to him. She didn't. She died shortly after due to cancer but the stigma of it was so great a lie was put forth.

Draft saved Draft deleted