1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sad news on Paul Newman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GuessWho, Jun 11, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Double J hasn't been around for a while. :)

Funny thing about that movie is he's not the first guy you think of when someone says Slapshot.

Still......we should have caught that.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Limerock by any chance? I covered a number of Newman's races back in the day, hanging out w/Joanne Woodward wearing one of her many big, floppy sun hats.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/57239/

Come join us.

"I am personally placing a hundred-dollar bounty on the head of Tim McCracken. He's the head coach and chief punk on that Syracuse team."

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Talk about longevity. I graduated from college 33 years ago. My junior year I got into the mickey mouse "American Film Heroes" class. My semester, it was focused on Paul Newman. Twice a week, we'd sit in a giant lecture hall and watch Newman movies. That was before "Slap shot" but I saw Butch for the first time in a college classroom.

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

For understated Newman, "Mr & Mrs Bridge," with his wife, is really good.

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

When that came out, I was covering a high school that had a Mr. Bridge on the faculty. He was way to young to claim any connection, but he made sure to get a VHS for his parents when it went to video. I was told it was one of their favorite movies at the time.

And as for Oscar snubs, how did Road to Perdition get overlooked? It was nominated in six categories, including Newman for supporting actor, but its only win was for cinematography. I demand a recount!

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The Verdict is one of my favorites. When that or The Sting are on, not much else matters. They will be watched.

Two years after The Verdict came out, Joe Jackson put out his Body & Soul album that featured a song by the same name inspired by the movie. One of my favorite Joe Jackson songs -- among very many.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm fascinated by the fact that in Beautiful Girls, Timothy Hutton's character wears a "Milwaukee Sentinel" bowling shirt at one of the parties. Where the heck did wardrobe come up with that?

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The way the first one was worded, his agent denied he was "dying" of cancer. He did not deny the cancer. His friends said he was "battling." I think it's teh same story, just the agent finding a way to not make it sound as bad as it might be.

I have loved him in everything I've ever seen him in. Starman you were right...he was easily the best part of "Message in a Bottle."

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm going to the Aces tonight to have one for him.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm going to Chalky's.

12. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

But he was still good in The Towering Inferno. :)

Hell, he was even good as the voice of Doc Hudson in "Cars."

Draft saved Draft deleted