1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sad news on Paul Newman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GuessWho, Jun 11, 2008.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Totally agree, although it had a very Hollywood-ish cast (Newman, Bruce Willis, Jessica Tandy, Melanie Griffith). There was just something about the mood and pacing of that movie, most of it created by Newman, that really appealed to me. Can't put my finger on what it is. God, I'd suck as a reviewer.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I agree. I think Cool Hand Luke is one of the most underrated films of all time.
    Rod Steiger won the Best Actor award that year (didn't hurt Poitier was his opposite), but I still feel Newman's performance in 'Luke was better.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I've come to think of "Nobody's Fool" (January 1995) and "Beautiful Girls" (Feb. 1996) as near-bookend movies: set in nearly-identical towns in upstate/mountain New York/New England, both set in the winter, both featuring a quirky ensemble cast of offbeat characters, both with much of the action taking place in a hole-in-the-wall bar. I sort of imagine the stories as simply taking place in different neighborhoods of the same small town.

Oh yeah, it just hit me: Pruitt Taylor Vince is in both movies.

4. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

He didn't look at all well at an Indy 500 practice/qualifying day, and didn't attend the race. (For those who don't know, he's the Newman in Newman-Haas-Lanigan Racing, one of the old Champ Car teams now in the IRL.)

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Isn't there a great Griffith flashing scene in that one?

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

In an era where movies are defined by special effects and silly plots, this was a movie about people and their relationships with each other. In other words, an adult movie.

He's s in almost every scene in the movie and it's classic understated Newman: so effortless you don't know he's acting.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

His character in Nobody's Fool reminded me of my father-in-law. Simply outstanding.

The Color of Money is another Newman flick I gotta watch once a year.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Aww, shit. He's my all-time favorite actor, bar none, and one of the best human beings on the planet.

The Hustler, Cool Hand Luke, Butch Cassidy, The Sting, Slap Shot. I'd drop everything to watch any of those, especially the last two.

Get well soon, Butch. Damn damn damn.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

[​IMG]

You're right, he does not look good there.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Tough thread to see.

You know, you should always use gin when working a mark. You can cut it with water and they will never know the difference.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I've cringed a little at recent photos too, but then again the man is 83.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

From one nutmegger to another (not born here, but has lived here for years), Get well soon Paul.

So many iconic roles, I don't think I could choose a favorite.

Draft saved Draft deleted