1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sad news on Paul Newman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GuessWho, Jun 11, 2008.

1. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Loved him in The Verdict because be played against type a bit by taking the role of a weak-willed, drunken ambulance chaser. Watching his character evolve and redeem himself was a great way to spend two hours.

And I gladly drop whatever I'm doing to watch The Sting whenever I run across it on the tube.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And I'd say Long Hot Summer, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Hud, The Hustler. Absence of Malice, The Verdict, Road to Perdition, Nobody's Fool. And I'd change my mind a million times as well.

I loved him in Long Hot Summer. It may one of the sexiest movies ever --and what a cast, not to mention the screenplay was by William Faulkner.
    Newman is the Ultimate Guy's Guy.

3. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The Sting is on my all-time Top 10.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Hanrahan ...................

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of the greatest ever...

I watch Cars at least once a week with my kids. He's so great in it.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I can't think of a truly bad movie he's been in, and most have been tremendous.

Single-handedly raised "Message in a Bottle" from complete treacle.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You can talk about it while he's alive. No rule that says someone has to be history before discussing their best roles.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Seems to me that I read yesterday where he was denying the cancer story, but there's a foto floating around of him at an event from a week ago, standing with martha stewart (!) and he looks very sickly.

I'll lend my endorsement to both The Verdict and the vastly underrated Nobody's Fool. I'll stop and watch them anytime.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Funny about Butch Cassidy. It's probably my least favourite of his movies.

Because it's Redford and Newman, I've seen it at least a dozen times but there's something that strikes me as slightly phony about the movie every time I see it. I can't put my finger on it.

Maybe it's that damn "Raindrops Keep Falling...." bicycle scene with Katherine Ross that conjures up a shampoo commercial from the late 60's/early 70's. I still can't figure out why that damn scene is in the movie

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Nobody's Fool is a very un Hollywood movie and you're right, it's vastly underrated. I bet it would never have been made if Newman hadn't been attached to it.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Mixed reports: Agent denies reports; Spokesperson says he's "doing nicely,"; friend and salad-dressing partner confirm he's battling cancer.

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/2008/06/11/Newmans_rep_Actor_not_dying_of_cancer/UPI-21431213200645/

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080611/ap_en_mo/people_paul_newman

Draft saved Draft deleted