1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sad news if you live in Central VA - No more RBraves?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jan 15, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Or Marlboro?

The Richmond area was ranked 3rd best city for business by MarketWatch in 2007. Richmond is one of twelve cities in the United States to be home to a Federal Reserve Bank. There are also nine Fortune 500, and thirteen Fortune 1000 companies, in the city.

- From Wikipedia

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The Mets clearly don't want to be in New Orleans. The shuffle after Norfolk dumped them left the Mets with little choice. I'm sure they will try to affiliate with a team in a closer city.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'll do no such thing. Richmond is one burning river from becoming the Cleveland of the South.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Never, ever thought a thread on the R-Braves would get nearly 40 replies.

5. 93Devil

If Richmond gets pro baseball, football and hoops from one burning river....

Let it burn. ;)

Richmond and Cleveland actually have very little in common.

Old (1700s, 1800s) vs new (1900s)

Banking vs production

tobacco vs dairy

Low unemployment vs unemployment

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And not one (yet) from our esteemed Moddy.

7. 93Devil

Good or bad thing?

I think it also shows a city that ignored professional sports and is now looking at the future without them.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Bingo.

The Dodgers just made that switch out here in the Cal League last year; the Angels and Padres already had an affiliate close by. The big clubs send rehab guys -- and team execs -- here all the time.

In addition to making it easier for your big-leaguers to rehab in-house, it also makes for a quick trip to watch your minor league prospects first-hand.

Frank Wren, Jim Fregosi, et al, can now drive 30 minutes to Duluth -- which is really a great area for minor league ball, IMO -- to check out the guys they're thinking of calling up. This move makes sense on a lot of levels.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I was talking about the public's perception and years of football fucking on this and many other issues, but I understand what you're saying.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Welcome to Birmingham.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Also, I think some of y'all don't understand the dynamics of Atlanta if you think this move won't be successful.

That area of Gwinnett County is perfect for a Braves affiliate -- just like it has been for the ECHL Gladiators -- the big club's attendance or lack thereof at Turner Field is completely irrelevant. Minor league sports aren't even the same ballgame, so to speak. Different audience, different purpose. They'll draw well in Duluth, which is thriving.

Atlanta's only knock, really, is its support for its professional major league teams, which (outside of the Braves in the last decade-plus) haven't exactly had any long-term success in the last 40 years. College sports do exceptionally well there, whether it's the SECCG, Peach Bowl, multiple Men's Final Fours, or just the Dawgs and Jackets. They've held two successful Super Bowls. And oh yeah, a pretty good Olympics (no matter what that bitch Samaranch said 8).)

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

buck's right

tons of gwinnettians don't want to leave the area and go "all the way" to where the dark people live

and minor league is a completely different audience

(basically, this is a thread for buck and i to tell each other how smart we are -- kinda some foreplay of sorts)

Draft saved Draft deleted