1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sad news if you live in Central VA - No more RBraves?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jan 15, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But aren't Seattle and Tacoma two distinct areas with two distinct identities, much like Dallas and Fort Worth?

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Ehhhhh, not really.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

What's the difference between Dallas and Fort Worth?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Rangers' AA team is in the Dallas suburb of Frisco, about 30 minutes from Arlington. Frisco also houses the Dallas MLS team and the Dallas Stars' practice rink and offices. The Stars also operate a junior team that plays at that facility.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The same as the difference between Tempe and Phoenix, but divided by a unicorn and multiplied by a leprechaun.

[​IMG]

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Pawtucket is less than 50 miles down the road from Boston, and is one of the top-drawing minor league franchises in baseball (or any sport, for that matter).
    I just wonder what league this team will play in - it's out of the way for both the IL and PCL

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Is this why Moddy bolted?

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Atlanta does not equal Boston.

That said, it'll remain an IL team. Both Charlotte and Durham aren't really that far away, and most AAA teams fly anyway.

9. Hustle

Hustle Guest

First, to the original point of the thread: I don't believe this is very surprising, as I believe there had been rumblings for some time. The Diamond played no small part in it, I'm sure, but I'll leave a more educated explanation to someone who knows better.

I only say that because Richmond has a natural tenant ready to step in: the Nationals, whose AAA team is in Columbus. In the office, we had discussed this scenario for some time now.

Now, to CK's post: It's actually pretty prevalent beyond AAA teams. The Padres' High-A affiliate is close by in the Cal League; think about the two NY-Penn League teams in NYC. The Nats just moved their short-season team to Hagerstown last season. Even Scranton really isn't that far from New York.

Certain cities are set up nicely for that sort of infrastructure - Philly, Baltimore, DC, New York, Boston to a degree; as well as the major California cities. The clubs are going to save money from having to ferry call-ups and rehabs halfway across the country. The affiliates benefit from a closer connection to the big-league clubs; there used to be a Potomac Nationals booth at RFK and I'm sure they'll have one at the new stadium.

But really, Baltimore was the first to consolidate so widely. A fine idea, IMO.

10. chester

chester Member

The Indians have two of their single-A teams within an hour in Eastlake and Youngstown, and their double-A team is in Akron. I would actually think having your minor-league affiliates so close would be a benefit, because of the local connection.

11. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Gwinnett is a rapidly growing area - and it also has the Gwinnett Gladiators - an ECHL (Double-A) affiliate of the Atlanta Thrashers. They seem to do just fine.

12. patchs

patchs Active Member

There's some talk that the Mets want to move their AAA team from New Orleans to Syracuse.
    Their AA team is down I-81 in Binghamton, so that would make sense.
    Syracuse has been with the Blue Jays for 30 years.
    Could you see Cleveland moving its AAA team to Columbus, the Nats' to Richmond and the Jays to Buffalo?
    Would make a lot of sense.
    Rochester is supposedly happy with the Orioles. Oops, I meant Twins. Old habits die hard.

Draft saved Draft deleted