1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sad news if you live in Central VA - No more RBraves?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jan 15, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.ajc.com/wireless/content/sports/braves/stories/2008/01/14/gwbraves_0115.html

There will soon be two Braves teams playing professional baseball in metro Atlanta, sometimes on the same day.

The Atlanta Braves will move their Class AAA minor-league team to Gwinnett County, according to people familiar with the deal.

Final details were being worked out Monday and a news conference has been scheduled for 3:30 p.m. Tuesday at Gwinnett Center, said Center spokesman Chris Hendley, who declined to discuss the topic.

This is terrible news for the City of Richmond. It will be a "major" city with only a low level minor league hockey team. Other than VCU and U of Richmond hoops (I had to spell out Richmond because I did not think most people would have gotten U of R) and a couple of NASCAR races, there is no decent local sports.

You have to drive one hour to see UVA.

This is what happens when you have a dilapidated ball field (The Diamond) and arena (Richmond Coliseum). You cannot go 25-30 years without a new building in this day and age.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Not surprising. The City of Richmond has become nothing but old money, longin' for the past, and others content to waller in their own crapulance. If it wasn't the capital city, Richmond would have long ago become a ghost town.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Built in 1985 (at taxpayer expense). An absolute dilapidated shack. Certainly the taxpayers of Richmond have a pressing need to shell out $50 million or so so the ball team can have a new stadium, rather than the current 22-year-old tarpaper shanty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Been a long time since I've lived in the Atlanta suburbs, but Gwinnett County? Yuck.

Plus, large population aside, I don't see how a major-league team and a AAA team 30 miles away makes a lot of sense.

5. Seattle and Tacoma have no issues with it, from what I can recall.

6. 93Devil

I just wish a little more foresight was done when the field was built in 1985.

In 1985, these concrete bowls were already looking a little outdated, but Richmond chose to build one (well, 1/4 one) as well.

Half of the seats are not even field level. For minor league baseball, that is a sin.

As for the Coliseum, if you like sitting in stained, gaudy seats, it's the place for you. The building structure is decent enough, but it badly needs a facelift inside the building.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Having your minor league affiliates nearby may becoming a trend: Phillies, Orioles.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/stories/2008/01/14/bravesmovebiz_0115.html

It's not AAA, but St.Louis has a minor league team on the Illinois side where you can see Busch Stadium from your seat at the minor league park.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

So they will have two half-empty stadiums in the metro?

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Not 30 minutes, but an hour, the Rockies' Triple-A affiliate is in Colorado Springs.

And not baseball, but there are two minor-league hockey teams within 50 minutes of Denver, one in Broomfield (20 minutes away; not doing so hot in attendance but only in its second year) and one in Loveland (50 minutes away; sold out every game in more than three years of playing).

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

You ain't thinking of getting rid of the dank are you Moe?
    Ehhh, maybe I am.
    Oh, but Moe...The Dank! The Dank!

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That was my thinking. I grew up on Braves teams that didn't draw enough to fill minor league parks. Obviously not that bad anymore but Atlanta hasn't exactly shed its image as a mediocre sports town.

12. 93Devil

Draft saved Draft deleted