1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sad Day in Orlando

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by otownguy, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

It's not hard to find a college graduate who is well-versed in the digital aspects of this job.

Just saying.

2. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

MediaWire tip
    Current and former staff say 12 of those laid off were full-time employees; four were part-time. Movie critic Roger Moore was reportedly one of them. The cuts came from various parts of the newsroom but appear to have struck the copy desk particularly hard. In addition, I’m told that several open positions were eliminated. Editor Mark Russell told the staff how many had been laid off in a newsroom meeting on Wednesday, a source tells me. I sought a comment from Tribune Co. and will update if I get further information.

3. This is always the case.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

This.

I get crap for making a smart-ass joke, which is cool by me, but Lynn Hoppes displays a tremendous amount of class and he gets blasted? Christ.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Wait, Roger Moore was laid off?

I'd be willing to bet he probably generated twice as many clicks on their site than anyone else; his reviews are some of the most respected in the business.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Then he should have written about the quality of the guy's work and how underpaid he was and deserving of continued employment he was on the merits of his work w/in a proper work day, rather than focusing on his willingness to donate ungodly hours for low pay. Because at that point, he sounded like his asshole peers in newspaper management rather than some tremendously classy boss.

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Awful thing to happen, but the kid is talented, and from what I can tell without much baggage. I'm guessing he lands on his feet. If someone like that can't, a lot of us are screwed.

8. Prospero

Prospero Member

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

At the end of our careers, a lot of us will look back and be happy with the work we've done and the chance to do it, and if we're smart we've lived w/in our means and been compensated in a variety of ways. Awfully one-dimensional to let your professional transactions in life be defined only by the $.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I did not get that at all from his post.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I didn't either. I basically read it as Hoppes criticizing the move and praising Zach's work.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

^

People are way too quick to jump on Lynn for anything here - which I don't understand but that's not the point. He didn't say people SHOULD be willing to work long hours for low pay. But many are and many jobs require that and he found it odd that type of person was let go.

Nothing more. Nothing sinister.

Of course, the layoffs I'm so familiar with are so random. At one joint, the second highest paid person on each desk (sports writers, sports desk, feature writers, etc.) was laid off. At another, last ins became first outs. At another, they gave a number to the manager and said "cut this many, your choice." Other places said, well, we're not going to cover this anymore so lay off the person covering that.

None of it makes sense. It's an ugly thing with many answers that are only ugly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.