1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sacrifice questions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Twoback, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Something I wondered after last night's news conference: Do the other reporters roll their eyes and moan like I do when somebody like that doofus from NBC asks the president what "sacrifices" the American people need to make -- the way I do when I'm at a Final Four press conference and somebody asks the players about how hard it is to shoot in a dome?
    Dumb questions are dumb questions, I figure.
    Maybe the etiquette is different though, with the White House press corps.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Screw the economy. I want to know if Obama would bunt with runners on first and third and nobody out.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

You know what the definition of true love is? Sacrifice ... [/quotefrommovieican'trecall]

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Damn, I was all ready to get into an argument over the official scorer deciding whether a batter was bunting to move a runner over or bunting for a base hit.

Personally, I hate the rule that it's not a sacrifice just because they guy is running hard. If it moves a runner over with less than two out, and it's a bunt, it damn well should be a sacrifice.

You should always run hard, with no fear of being charged an at-bat if you do.

Sorry to crossthread.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think it is a dumb question. It's easy to say that the people need to sacrifice if you don't give specifics.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

And Obama risks a huge shitstorm from big biz if he suggests the American people make do with less -- go to one fewer ball game this summer, don't eat out as much, don't buy as much, etc. I don't envy him one bit right now.

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

depends if you are down four runs or down one run, and who's hitting.
    if adam dunn is up, you don't bunt. If ichiro is up, bunting is probably a good idea, again depending on score and inning.

8. Dessens71

Dessens71 Member

Dude, I thought the exact same thing when I heard that question. Chuck Todd, I believe it was. What a dopey thing to say.

How should the American people sacrifice? Have you seen my 401K? That's not enough of a sacrifice for you? Stop by the unemployment office and ask those folks how they're sacrificing.

At first, I tried to discern some kind of political bias in the question, but I don't think there was one. It was just stupid. I totally would have rolled my eyes.

You know what else I found fascinating about that press conference? What do you do while the President is answering your question? Nod periodically? Just stare at the dude? Make a face if you don't like the answer?

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Q: Why don't Oklahomans practice pagan worship?

A: They can't find any 15-year-old virgins to sacrifice!

Tip your waitresses.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Any more sacrifices and I'll be living out of my car... or a cave someplace.

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Well, the Mayans drugged the girls first before they threw them into the deep pit that often had filled partially with water...wait, what?

Draft saved Draft deleted