1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sacramento Kings moving franchise to the OC, CA.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sportscentral, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Then you'll get teams in the midranges tanking. What would you rather have if you're Houston or Phoenix: the first pick in the draft or a mid-round pick and a probable shitkicking by San Antonio in the first round of the playoffs?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Teams make a TON of money for every playoff game they play -- a million bucks in profit, maybe more, per home game at the gate. I doubt they're going to kiss off $2-3 million to the bottom line and piss off their customers by obviously trying not to make the playoffs.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I just don't see the Maloofs being that much better off in Anaheim. They'll be like a Triple-A team. I've read that the move has more to do with the Maloofs looking for a $100 million loan for their Vegas business than support in Sacto and someone in Anaheim is willing to cover it.
    And lets be honest, they won't just be behind the Lakers and the Clippers, but also behind UCLA hoops and probably the hockey teams as well. And if the NFL lands a team in SOCAL you can forget about it.
    It's interesting, since the Kings moved to Sacramento, the NBA has added markets in Charlotte, Orlando, Miami, Vancouver/Memphis, Minnesota, Toronto and Oklahoma City - and returned to New Orleans. All of those markets were open when the Kings moved from KC.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, for once, a transferring franchise isn't blackmailing the taxpayers of their new victim ... oops, HOME city ... for a brand-new fully-taxpayer-financed arena; they're moving in as tenants in an already-existing building.

Since at least in theory the Royals will take away some ticket, advertising and broadcasting revenues from the Ducks, I am sure the Ducks will make sure to take a good chunk out of the Royals' hide in the lease agreement.

They'll stay in Anaheim a few years, the No. 4/5/6 franchise in the winter sports market, until they can find some other bunch of dumbass taxpayers to bend over the chair and fuck up the ass.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If they are going to move, would be better off going to Las Vegas.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Vegas? That's an even bigger economic basket case than Sacramento.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

But chances are, they're going to get two home games and then they're out, unless they can push it to six games. Conversely, if they get the No. 1 pick that year with a team that's already on the verge of the playoffs, they'll be in much better shape for the next few years.

Not quite the same since it was unintentional, but the Spurs had one bad year with Robinson as a star -- the year he was hurt. Spurs won the draft lottery, took Tim Duncan, and they're still riding that success today.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Will the Kings bring their 2001-02 Pacific Division Championship banner? And their 10 (!) retired jerseys?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacramento_Kings

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The only move the Kings (and about five other teams) should be making is straight to contraction.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Fans don't go to Vegas to watch pro sports. They go to Vegas to GAMBLE on pro sports.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The NBA was never going to let a team move to Vegas. This move sucks, but I understand why the Maloofs are doing it.

Teams can't get new arenas in this economy unless the owner pays for it himself (more or less). There's no way they were going to get that in Sacramento, or almost anywhere else for that matter.

It's sad because the Kings had a great fan base for almost 20 years, but the Maloofs kept raising prices when Webber and Bibby led that great team that, in my opinion, was one of the most fun to watch since Jordan retired. When the team inexplicably fired Adelman and later went to shit, they never lowered the prices.

In Orange County, this team will fail miserably and I think will have to be moved again within 5-10 years.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It gives the Maloofs time in case a new arena is built in either Las Vegas or Seattle.

Draft saved Draft deleted