1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sabathia wins AL Cy Young

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by chester, Nov 13, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Feet up....this should be fun....

2. outofplace

You see...he can be reasonable.

Scary thing. I actually agree with the theory there. I'd still take Beckett over either guy, but the argument for Carmona is actually pretty sound.

But Junkie, weren't you supporting the choice of Sabathia for Cy Young earlier? How can he be a deserving Cy Young Award winner if he's not the best pitcher on his own team? Or did I misread your posts.

3. outofplace

Simon, weren't you the one pushing harder than anybody in those debates over the summer to say that ERA is the most important statistic? If that's the case, Carmona was better than Sabathia.

Just curious.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

[​IMG]

/sorry. The "with all due respect" thing always gives me the chuckles now.

5. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

There were four prime candidates: Sabathia, Carmona, Lackey and Beckett. Carmona and Lackey had lower ERAs -- and ERA+s -- than the other two. It's not so hard to understand how Beckett got left off a couple of ballots. He threw the fewest innings of the Big Four.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In this day and age fans worrying about who wins Cy Young is like cheering for the announced attendance.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think he means who the fuck cares

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That's pretty much it. Players don't care about the fans whey should we care about their personal awards. Take A-Rod for example when he wins AL MVP - why should Yankee fans give a shit.

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Bragging rights over the Red Sox fans that they had the reigning MVP? Another stat to hold over the rest of the baseball world when they try to make an argument?

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I just hope all the people citing innings pitched as the reason Sabathia was a no-brainer remember to vote for Bert Blyleven when they cast their HOF ballot.

(Hi Casty! ;))

11. outofplace

Fair enough, though I can't see supporting a guy winning it when you don't think he is even the best pitcher on his own team. Not that you and I think much alike. :)

Beckett had the slightly lower ERA and one more win, but I thought it was close enough to make a good argument for either guy.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Yes.

ERA is the most important statistic, by some degree over baserunners and strikeouts to me. Carmona barely edged out Sabathia there.

Being able to strike someone out is hugely important in a baseball game. It's the out that guarantees no baserunner advancing. It is a great talent.

When doing it at a 5.5 to 1 ratio to walks allowed... in this day and age.... we are in crazy territory.

Draft saved Draft deleted