1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sabathia wins AL Cy Young

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by chester, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

The bullpens stat-wise were much closer this season. Boston has the edge in ERA, IP, and BAA. Cleveland has more strikeouts (in less IP), less walks, more saves, and more wins. When you break it down by Saber stats, the Sox have a slim advantage in opponent's OBP, but a large difference in opponent's OPS. The Sox had a better bullpen, but by a slim margin.

2. That is unreal. Josh Beckett was the man and that's that.

I don't even like the Red Sox. Doesn't change facts.

p.s.: I got into it with "sundevilpeg" once upon a time saying that Josh Beckett would have a much better career than Mark Prior. I'm just glad to be right. Where are j00 now, sundevilpeg?

3. Led the league in ERA, pitched 224 innings. Not a Kyle Kendrick-type vote. Not a great vote, but not indefensible.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ummmmm...the Sox won the AL East by two games. The Indians won the AL Central by eight.

And I don't think being dead tired or not had anything to do with the postseason. Some people are just born for October. And some...are not.

Sabathia won because he pitched seven or more innings 24 times. Beckett did so 15 times. I wouldn't want Sabathia near the mound in a must-win game, but he was the best pitcher in the AL from April thru September. And we all know how fond I am of Josh motherfucking Beckett.

And Sabathia was only cost two wins by the bullpen. Beckett was cost one. So they both should have had 21 wins. As usual, Junkie is a fraud and full of shit and a stupid fanboy. :)

5. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

As an Indians fan, it's nice to see smart debate about this on here. Of course C.C. is going to look bad winning this award because of what he did in the postseason. But that's why they have postseason MVPs. If the Red Sox (or whatever world series champ) won all of the awards, regular season and post season, then it would look silly.

Fact is, I didn't expect C.C. to win because no Indian has won MVP/Cy Young in forever, even during their 90s run Albert Belle was a worthy MVP and didn't get it. So to see the voting system play out smartly and not be based on Beckett winning one more game is good to see.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Huh? Beckett pitched 34 innings over five starts in Sept/Oct -- same as just about every other month of the year.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What?? You're not completely riveted by MLB's annual rite of releasing their award winners one day at a time for two weeks in a desperate attempt to generate publicity? Go check yourself.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

ARod wouldn't win this year?

Crazy MF.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Especially considering those yahoos didn't have to pitch against the Yankees four times.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Those fuckers have to have their privileges revoked.

11. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Growing up a huge fan of both baseball and sportswriting, I always aspired to one day be a voting member of the Writers' Association. (Not going to happen any time soon, BTW.)

Now I'm starting to think I wouldn't want to be associated with some of the moronic voting that occurs. Colon winning the AL Cy Young kinda stands out to me, and there are definitely others.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Dude... that is a FUCKING idiotic statement.

CCS had 209 Ks against... wait for it... 37 walks.

5.5 to 1

same wins

Oh, and 27 more innings.

Three full games.

Draft saved Draft deleted