1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saban

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wonkintraining, Jan 5, 2007.

1. USA Today quote about Saban today:

"He's his own worst enemy. All he had to say was, 'Any questions about the Alabama job are inappropriate and unfair to my team.' But when you flat-out get belligerent with the media and lie to their faces, that makes you a bad guy. The media has a hammer. He'll find that out over the next several months.

"Nick is a hard-ass. He has zero respect for the media. So he had no problem lying to them."

I'm not that familiar with Saban's programs, though I know the reputation.

Does he really hate us this much?

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

3. OK ... how does that come through? I guess I'd like to hear some tales and anecdotes of Saban's ... Saban-ness, for lack of a better word.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Did you hear the stories about what he did when he got to Miami?

Assistant coaches aren't allowed to talk to the media. If you're covering football, that's huge.

He also got rid of the media workroom and media parking. Why would you do that upon arrival if it's anything other than a complete fuck you to the media?

The Alabama media would line up to give Saban Blumpkins if he asked...

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's pretty amazing.

Head coaches refusing to allow assistants to talk to the media is nothing new. That's the Bill Parcells school of coaching.

But getting rid of media parking and the media workroom? That's just being a prick for the sake of being a prick.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Very, very limited contact with Saban. But I will say he was one of the few coaches to be completely out of sorts in press conference after a big win I've ever met.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

He sort of looks like Huey Lewis, so maybe it was his breakup with the News that led to his acrimony towards the media.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Trouble in Paradise, anyone?

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Apparently, he doesn't believe in love. [/ducking]

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If he closes the workroom and parking for the media, he'll be walking on a thin line

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Prediction: Saban cuts off media bathroom access by spring ball.

Oh, for a complementary windbreaker...

[​IMG]

;D

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

After all of this attention, all he probably wants is a couple days off

Draft saved Draft deleted