1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saban to Tennessean: "Kiss my ass"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, May 17, 2014.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

An Alabama recruit posted a picture of himself with a new car on Facebook, which prompted former West Virginia quarterback Pat White to say that he was offered a Corvette by Alabama when he was being recruited in 2004.
    A Tennesseean reporter asked Saban about White's comment at a caravan stop, to which he offered the typical, friendly Saban reply:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/2014/05/15/nick-saban-facebook-corvette-alabama/9132967/

To be fair, Saban was a long, long way away from even thinking of being Alabama's coach when that happened, so it's not a great or even fair question to ask. Still, instead of just reminding him of that, Saban does what comes natural.
    Stay classy, Nick.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, given that Saban wasn't even the coach at the time, why the heck would he have known anything?

Sadly, it looks like another example of a reporter fishing for some imaginary controversy. Maybe the guy should have asked about AJ McCarron's draft position instead.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Sounds like the reporter just asked him for his opinion on White's comments. It's not unreasonable to solicit the current head of the Alabama football program for his opinion on a story that reflects poorly on his university.

Guy got a better response than I'm sure he even expected. If Saban ends that quote at "… I can't even comment on it," there's no story.

4. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Henry isn't a recruit. He played last season.

And Alabama never even offered Pat White.

That said, I see both sides. Why ask Saban if he wasn't involved the program? (was he still at LSU or NFL?).

But Saban should have shown some more tact.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I can't fault Saban, as much as it pains me to say. And anyone who's offended by "kiss my ass" lives a far too sheltered life.

6. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I don't know if it makes a difference, but he did say "Is that all we can talk about? Kiss my ass."

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Saban tells writers who cover him regularly to kiss his ass. Why would he care about saying it to a road-team writer?

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Wonder when someone is going to take him up on his offer.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anyone who thinks Bama would be stupid enough to leave fingerprints on a payout to a recruit is kidding themselves. You typically read about a parent or uncle getting a good job in the general vicinity of the school, the athletic department is completely cut out of the operation.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

College football: Kiss my zit-speckled ass.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Writer should have shot back, "Yeah, that's all everybody does, don't they?"

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

On a scale of 1-10, this registers in the 2-3 range.

Draft saved Draft deleted