1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saban rants, raves, bans reporter from asking questions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SouthernStyle, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I dunno about this, JJ. There is no sports entity in this country - and yes, I'll include the Leafs and Habs here - that can match the fan support, coverage, revenue generation and insanity of the top NCAA programs. Up here for the most part there is little interest in college sports. I doubt there is a junior coach anywhere in Canada who makes a tenth of what Saban hauls in.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

What league? O, Q, Dub? Do tell!

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's overstating it a tad... Obviously, Saban isn't as important in NYC as he is in Atlanta or somewhere else down south, but I'm guessing Alabama games are televised fairly regularly in your market. I'm guessing there are a few people in the Northeast who care about college football.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Alabama football is huge....

[​IMG]

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

In fairness, here's an update. We'll have to see how things play out. Stay tuned for Saban's press conference.

http://blog.al.com/bamabeat/2009/08/father_of_girl_involved_in_alt.html

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Where'd you find that picture of Slappy?

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I was speaking from my own personal perspective, where Alabama football doesn't rate so much as a 100-to-1 comparison with Canadian junior hockey. Is that okay with you?

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

I don't claim they're on the same level, generally speaking, it's just the best comparison I can make from a domestic standpoint. Junior hockey here is to the NHL what college football is to the NFL.

And what I said is still a fact - junior hockey rosters turn over just as quickly as do college football rosters, and yet the upper-echelon coaches, the ones with longevity and histories of success, the ones who legitimately have a claim of being bigger than the team itself - the Brian Kilreas and the Stan Butlers - don't come off like Saban does. That's what I'm saying.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

10. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Now that you explain it that way, sure. :)

rb

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

:)

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Now, if we can just get spnited to :) we can all sing kumbayah. 'Course, we'd probably have to sacrifice a small child or something, so you have to wonder if the song would be worth it.

Draft saved Draft deleted