1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saban rants, raves, bans reporter from asking questions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SouthernStyle, Aug 20, 2009.

1. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

Well, just found the latest Nick Saban rant on the Web, and this one is a humdinger. Saban goes off because a "reporter has made depth chart speculations based on what he saw in practice." Saban then threatens to close all practices to everyone and tells said reporter "that he probably shouldn't ask any questions today. Aight? You just need to take the day off."

TideSports.com. Nothing better than Saban showing what an ass he really is.

2. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Saban's an ass, but if the reporter made a projected depth chart of some sporadic individual drills, that's wrong. You get what you see in practice, make a note of it, and then ask in the interview session and see what comes up. You don't just make assumptions.

Saban could have handled the matter privately, but I have no issues with how he handled it to be honest.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

So every time Saban shits you fucking SEC assholes have to make it a big story.

Nobody outside of Ala-fucking-bama gives a shit.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

NO QUESTIONS FOR YOU!!!!!

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

When you get no access and you have a fan base that blames you for the lack of information, yeah, you feel the need to watch who's running with the 1's and who's running with the 2's and make a note of it for your rabid fan base.

The fan base will appreciate it. Then, when they hear that Nick Saban didn't like it, they'll crucify the reporter for doing it. That's how irrational fan bases work.

And yes, Nick Saban is an asshole. Most college football coaches are, but he's top 5.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

OK, I watched the entire video. Here are my thoughts:

1. If the reporter said that this freshman is "starting" based on "individual drills" like Saban claims, then Saban's probably right. I would never say "starting" or "projected starter" based on things like that. I would say "running with the 1's" if there is a clear first and second team during 11-on-11 scrimmages. If that's indeed how it went down, I see Saban's point. But he still took it too far.

2. Saban telling the guy to not ask any questions is horseshit. Fuck him.

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Shaggy is dead on. And the reporter didn't "speculate". He said a kid was running with the group of No. 1 WRs in the drills they watched.

Saban is clearly both being a douchy douche here, and trying to do damage control with the other WRs and his team in general.

If *I* was in the room, I'd ask a depth chart question every day.

RB

8. That is an absolutely bizarre thing to set Saban off. On my old beat, depth chart speculation based on practice groups was like a season within a season. Besides recruiting, it was why people subscribed to sites like Rivals and Scout - to get updates in basically real time. I can't imagine the coach I covered, who does not have a reputation as a peach, getting angry about this.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Shaggy pretty much hit it on the head.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If I were that reporter, damn sure I'd scribble a question, in plain sight of where Saban could see what I was doing, and pass it to a colleague to ask. Don't give a damn if Saban answers it or not; just to see the look on his face would be worth it.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Or how about you just ask your question anyway?

Your way would be much more fun, though.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Boy, am I having flashbacks.
    But spnited is right, guys. Geez, it's not like it's the Mets.

Draft saved Draft deleted