1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saban comments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by crimsongolfer, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shockey

shockey Active Member

absolutely. one benefit of being a geezer such as myself is that i wouldn't even know how to do what jeff did. :eek: :eek: :eek:

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So, the bottom line with Mizzou and Mr. Doyel (welcome, google guy) is that everybody does it, even if everyone knows it's wrong, so lighten up.

Good luck with that or whatever.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Unless, of course, you are the one ripping them.

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Bona fides on shockey, fyi. Don't think he is taking prep agate anytime soon. Calls from sports hotshots Darlington couldn't get on the phone if he tried? That is another story ...

Keep the good fight going, shockey!

rb

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I think you just like Floridians and their jean shorts.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

And we love you back.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sorry, Mizzou and Mr. Doyel. When you dish it out yourselves frequently but then rush in like a shocked schoolmarm for one of your buds, that makes you a:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Without reading the posted story, may I ask ... did he call 'em coon asses?
    If so, there is no apology needed.
    Most Cajuns are fine with that. Most consider it an endearing term.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yes, that's what he did.

But some are offended:

Warren Perrin, president of the Council for Development of French in Louisiana, said the term is "highly offensive."

"I routinely state that the use of that term is highly offensive to descendants of Acadians, who are commonly referred to as Cajuns," Perrin said.

10. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Outing alert: greggdoyel is Chuck Amato.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'd gone for awhile giving Gregg Doyel the benefit of the doubt, separating his writing persona from his persona.

My bad. ;)

12. AnonymousPoster

AnonymousPoster New Member

Considering that people are calling for Jeff Darlington's job, it's time someone came on here and told the entire story. I'm not Jeff, and I'm not going to say what he did was ok, but everyone needs to know the whole story before they say he should be fired.

Jeff and a handful of other NFL beat writers went out to lunch while covering the Senior Bowl in Alabama. During the course of the lunch, the beat guys started sharing funny stories. Jeff recounted the Saban story, never once mentioning that Saban used the term "coon ass". Jeff's intent in sharing the story was absolutely innocent. The kind of thing that happens between almost every group of close friends who share journalism as a career.

While he was recounting the incident (and once again, he didn't tell the group that Saban said "coon ass"), Jeff mentioned that he had the whole thing on tape. At that point, Orlando Alzugaray - a radio personality and supposed friend of Darlington's - asked if he could get a copy of the tape. Darlington hesitated when he was first asked - a fact that every writer at that table would attest to. But Alzugary persisted, promising several times that he would never share the tape or play it on air. Eventually, Darlington relented.

From my vantage point, Darlington screwed up. And trust me, he knows this. He's apologized profusely and been in nothing less than complete agony over the mistake. But I also know that Alzugaray is a spineless liar who fucked Jeff over - and Alzugaray is an even bigger coward for not coming out in the last 24 hours and admitting that he aired the tape despite saying over and over that he wouldn't. Every writer who was sitting at that table listened to him say it repeatedly. And they all know he's a liar.

Jeff made a mistake. He'll surely be punished in some way, and he'll learn from it. It's not the first time a young writer has screwed up and paid a price. And it won't be the last.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.