1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saban comments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by crimsongolfer, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shockey

shockey Active Member

hey, you can kiss my butt, gregg. this has NOTHING to do with any kind of "jealousy." jeff darlington isn't a blip on my radar screen. believe me, i only wish for anyone here half the career i've been blessed to have, in a market jeff probably aspires to reach some day.

this isn't about savagely attacking someone. it's about pointing out a mistake of serious proportions. that's all.

no need to come on here and cast aspersions on those of us trying to calmly discuss a very relevant topic. i'm sure jeff has learned a painful lesson. it should serve as a lesson for everyone.

it's stunning to me it was a lesson he needed to learn. any way you slice it, he was STUPID.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I concur WHOLEHEARTEDLY and in FULL VOICE with this post. I don't know Darlington from the guy who throws the paper in my driveway each morning, but I know he fucked up here. If you want to play in the big sandbox, prepare to be criticized for your mistakes. And anyone who argues otherwise is blinded by their friendship/admiration/suck-up-itude of the guy to see otherwise.

rb

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

"good people" make mistakes. jeff made a big one that hurts OUR credibility. why are you so fired up about the heat he's drawing for this? to me, that's what comes off as pathetic, bro.

4. greggdoyel

greggdoyel Member

Shockey, I don't know the cool way to highlight your posts, but here are four things you've said on this thread:

1. "if this doesn't get a reporter fired, what will? ... thanks for nothing, jeff."

2. "he deserves to be whacked simply on the grounds of stupidity"

3. "it's really hard to fathom how golden-boy jeff could have done this under any circumstances."

4. "this isn't about savagely attacking someone. it's about pointing out a mistake of serious proportions. that's all."

Those are your words, in order. But you want me to believe that your call for his firing is not "savagely attacking" this "golden boy" in a case that has "NOTHING to do with any kind of jealousy"?

Shockey, this is my last post here because I'm at the Super Bowl and I'm too damn busy. My heart goes out to Jeff, who I've met once in my life but who deserves better than he is getting here. If you're in Miami, Shockey, introduce yourself to me Sunday. I'll keep your identity secret. I've got to see for myself someone who claims, "believe me, i only wish for anyone here half the career i've been blessed to have, in a market jeff probably aspires to reach some day."

Because I don't believe you're 1/20th as accomplished as you say you are.

5. Maybe you should look him up.

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Not if he keeps doing dumb shit like this -- shit that requires his newspaper to write a story of apology in it ... Can't recall how terribly often *that* happens.

rb

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

ask around, gregg. someone at the supe can tell you who "shockey" is, i'm sure.

as i have posted, too, my intitial reaction of the young man deserving to be fired was, upon further review, an over-reaction. it's the beauty about time giving us perspective.

that said, the defenses waged by jeff's supporters is stunning to me.

the kid effed up. end of story. i'm sure he won't do it again. and i'm equally confident his bosses are greatly chagrined that he did what he did -- as we all should be.

really, what is there to argue?

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

For what my opinion is worth — probably not much — it is a fuckup. Not worth firing AT ALL, but it is a fuck up. I believe a big part of a beat guy's job to is to demand accountability and responsibility from the people we cover, and to blame this on anyone but Darlington is wrong. It was off the record, and he passed it on. You better be damn sure you can trust someone if you pass that kind of tape around. Damn sure. With e-mails, things can spread so quickly, and boom, enough "friends of a friend" have a copy for it to get out.

Jeff is a good writer and has always seemed like a good guy the couple of times we've chatted in press boxes. I'm about the same age as him, went to another SEC school and finished second a few times to him in competitions. I respect his work and while I like where I am at this point in my career, he's certainly one of the most successful guys our age out there.

But he fucked up here, and it's a black eye for all of us. I don't see how anyone can argue against that. I hope this is just a blip on his resume, though. I think it will be.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

ouch. that hurts. how will i ever recover?

oh, yes, knowing the truth is all the info i need. ;D ;D ;D

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I really hope I didn't sound preachy. We have enough people outside the business who hate us, and we don't need to do this shit to ourselves. But off the record is off the record. That has to stay sacred for us to do what we do.

11. What an incredibly arrogant, elitist thing to say... Much like your comments about SEC writers and the South.

Saying that the only person who can criticize a "fucking stud" would be one who has also reached such status is a laughable statement lacking all logic.

Are there haters here? Sure. But there is a difference between ripping and having an earnest discussion about an issue that affects us all. And I would think the validity of someone's opinion matters more than how they spend their Thursday night on the job.

Darlington made a mistake by sending the audio. He didn't relate it to some guys over a beer, he didn't play the tape for someone in the press box, he handed them the raw, unadulterated source material. It was a mistake. How can this even be argued, no matter how good he is?

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

A minor side benefit: I'll bet this becomes a lesson for all, and I'll bet people are going to think twice about swapping this kind of stuff in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.