1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saban comments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by crimsongolfer, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horribly irresponsible for any reporter to pass around or e-mail a recording of something that was off the record.

My question might be, if it's off the record, why was he recording it in the first place? Shut off the audio and write it down, yo.

2. ShelbyFoote

ShelbyFoote Member

Usually agree with you Mizzou -- and I definitely don't think Darlington should be fired -- but I think Darlington is at fault at some level here. Sharing an off-the-record conversation with other media members violates the off-the-record aspect of it, does it not? If it's off-the-record, shouldn't you keep it under wraps?

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

A really dangerous fine line you're straddling there, Mizzou.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, and you can't be screwed by another media type if you don't share your notes with them, either.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

There is a lot of disagreement about the origins of the term "coon ass," but I can tell you nobody in my family or my circle who uses the term links it to the term "coon" as referenced above. In fact, years ago at my sister's wedding rehearsal dinner, we dined at a seafood restaurant where someone bestowed a certificate of "honorary coon ass" to the groomsmen. One of them, an African American from a northern state, seemed startled by the gesture. It took everyone some time to sort it out. We realized he thought it was a racial slur directed at him, he realized "coon ass" was an entirely different sort of term, and all ended well.

Years later he laughs about it.

6. ShelbyFoote

ShelbyFoote Member

I know that.

All I'm saying is the person who told the story shares some responsibility if the story gets out.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, sorry, Mizzou. When I talk shop I don't supply tapes to radio hosts. ... I'm sure that's a barrel of chuckles and all, though.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Telling the story to another person is one thing. Supplying the tape is an entirely different matter.

9. Bingo.

10. Johnny Dangerously

It's not a matter of proof. It's a matter of giving someone a tape they can make available to the public. The tape is the property of your newspaper; your retelling of a conversation is not. What's your difficulty in understanding that? As you said, everyone shares off-the-record stories with scribes, but the ones who hand over tapes are asking for trouble.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

C'mon, Mizzzou.

If you are a radio guy and over beers a reporter tells you that Saban called LSU fans coonasses, are you gonna broadcast that? No.

If you've got a tape, hell, it might just be too tempting.

12. scribbler357

scribbler357 Member

You know how those media types are...you can never trust them. Bastards!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.