1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saban comments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by crimsongolfer, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Dan Patrick just said Jeff Darlington should be fired, or at least severely disciplined, for what went down here with an "off-the-record" statement.

Going only off what I have read or heard, I might agree.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/16593260.htm

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No. 1 -- Coon ass is not really derogatory to Cajuns. If those South Florida guys thought that was titillating or something, they don't know Louisiana.

No. 2 -- Jeff Darlington should be in a whole heap of hot water for sharing notes with another media source that he hadn't used and didn't intend to.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Doesn't it just feel like this tape was tossed around like a baseball?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If they treat him like that, pretty soon Mr. Saban might become leery and cynical of the media.

5. Shame on you, Jeff Darlington.

It doesn't matter if Saban knew you had your tape recorder on. You violated a trust with a source. Shotglass is right: it sounds as if the recording was e-mailed all over the place.

I know you meant that last line as a joke, Ace, but other sources hear about this kind of stuff and decide to clam up. Thanks a lot, Jeff. Hope you and your buddies got a big laugh.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ike,

I was going for bitterly sarcastic, Ike. Here's a guy we bitch at for being nasty and untruthful to the media and we show our professionalism like this. Real nice.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

if this doesn't get a reporter fired, what will? even a dick like saban has every right never to go "off-the-record" again.

thanks for nothing, jeff.

8. Seriously, there are several La. peeps at my gym in Alabama ... and they often refer to each other as coon-asses when talking about each other. "You seen that bald-headed coonass around yet?"

It struck me as odd the first time heard it years ago, but I'm telling you: It is NOT an inflammatory term.

At least not among these people.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And now read this little bit of head-burying-in-sand by Cote in his blog:

"Orlando, since we're in a business partnership, listen to this off-the-record recording by Saban..."

10. hpdrifter

hpdrifter Member

Wasn't Darlington supposed to be one of the "effiing" studs talked about on here? A brutally bad, careless move. Apparently, Darlington will watch the game on TV and not cover it.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Someone give me a history lesson here. I was always under the premise that the term "coon" was in reference to African-Americans back in the early half of the 20th Century. I didn't know that it applied to the Cajun community as well?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Here is a wikipedia link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coonass

FYI, gotta love wikipedia. It already notes the Saban reference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.