1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saban comments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by crimsongolfer, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The bio says his favorite song is "Drowning Man" by U2. Ironic.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dear assclown,
    Your friend let you hear something he shouldn't have and you burned him. He's man enough to take responsibility for his actions; you hide.
    If you were any more of a pussy, Kotex and Meow Mix would be your new radio sponsors -- your old ones would have pulled out if they were smart.
    Signed,
    SportsJournalists.com

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I hear all of you.

But, to what point of sensitivity would you suppress something someone gave to you?

Is there a line where the answer changes from no to yes?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If I "knew" I had a job, I would still keep my yap shut until it was officially offered to me. Too often an "opening" one day because a "frozen position" the next.

5. Yep. Spoke to Jason Cole right about that time, and about this very job, and he said the Herald still hadn't made a decision. Sounds like sour grapes from the PBP.

6. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Oh snap!! Whose sources are better?!?!?!?

7. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

I'm conflicted on this ... Alzugaray is a slimeball, but to what degree should be blamed in this situation? I think he can be hated by us and no longer trusted, but he acquired what is tantamount to radio gold. The fact that he WASN'T there takes him off the hook. He got this tape through good old fashioned networking (thanks to a big mistake by Darlington). When a reporter gets his hands on documents that are supposed to be confidential and gets a big story out of them, isn't he lauded for being a good reporter? I've received confidential documents before, and guess what ... if the leak gets exposed, then that person gets disciplined, not me for running the story. I get a pat on the back from my boss.

The main difference I see here is that Alzugaray might have screwed one of his own, although Darlington was culpable and should have known better anyway.

I still say Alzugaray is a smeared turd on the sidewalk, but I don't think what he did is nearly as bad as what Darlington did. He probably got a raise.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

there's no line. if the person who gave it to me didn't use it, you sure as hell don't use it.

as for death threats, i received my first when i was 25 and covering the knicks. no details on why necessary, but i received several "you n-loving jew bastard" death threats for defending a black player who was being abused around the league at the time.

it's never pleasant. i'm so sorry if this is happening to jeff. best advice i ever got at the time was from a veteran scribe:
    this, too, shall pass.

nobody's taking out jeff over this. people are real bold with a pen or computer at their finger tips.

that said, someone from SportsJournalists.com might take out that radio pig. ;D ;D ;D

i'd have no problem with that. 8) 8) 8)

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Now that it's devolved into a thread about whether Jeff did or did not accept a job at this or that time, and we're going to get into what his college grades were next, can I suggest that we've really all given as many opinions about this as our necessary, we all agree he made a mistake, we're pretty much together that the radio guy threw him under the bus, and we probably ought to A) give it up or B) ask Moddy to lock this thread?

10. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

I still think it's a good discussion about how wrong the radio guy was. I think he was doing his job ... although it cost him the trust of the people he has to work with every day and will make him a pariah in the locker room.

But I don't think what he did was professionally unethical. It was just a shitty thing to do to Darlington on a personal level.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah; we're kind of all in that place, too......

12. Grey

Grey Member

Ditto. On top of it all, Darlington's a super nice and HUMBLE guy. I've known him for years. It was a pleasure to see him again in Miami this week. His shop could eat mine for breakfast, yet he was the one who sought me out. Class act. Lots of you could learn things along those lines from him.

Darlington made a mistake, a mistake that lots of us who don't take ourselves so stuffily serious could make. He trusted someone he should not have. Clearly, he did not know the guy was a POS before this.

I hate that this happened to Darlington on lots of levels and I will remember it the next time someone I don't know nearly well enough asks to hear something on my recorder.

If you're reading this, Jeff (and I hope you're not, frankly, bc of all the stupid comments from know-it-alls), keep your head up, Bro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.