1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

S&P Downgrades USA's Credit Outlook

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because jobs are not being created in this country, the middle class has been stagnant for the last 30 years and people are tired of hearing the wealthy complain that they need more lower taxes to create jobs when they've had lower taxes for the last 10 years and CEO pay is hundreds of times higher than the average worker.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Yep, and when the buzzer goes off, there will be serious hell to pay. It might not happen in my lifetime, but it will occur.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Did Reagan's tax cuts increase receipts, or did an economic revival -- coming out of a recession after he took over office -- increase receipts?

As I said earlier, effective tax rates never change substantially, because politicians only have a certain band to play with before populist uprisings. It's all rhetoric. Under Carter tax rates were higher, and the top tax rate sounded insane. But no one actually paid those rates, because there were more loopholes in the code. Reagan came in and won a populist game of lowering taxes, but at the same time they lowered marginal rates, they cut the number of loopholes. The net effect was not much different, in terms of tax revenues.

Total receipts increased under Reagan, but that had little to do with tax cuts. It had to do with the fact that the economy was robust, so there was more to tax. And the economy wasn't more robust because of anything Reagan did. It was business cycles.

To put it into the perspective of more recent times, tax receipts declined significantly from 2008 to 2009 and stayed at the lower levels in 2010. It had nothing to do with tax policy. It had everything to do with a recession that took hold. When there is less income being made, all things being equal, tax receipts go down. Under Reagan, we came out of a recession, so tax receipts went up. It really had little to do with his tax policy, because effective tax rates were not much different under Reagan than they were under Carter, despite how they each sold it.

4. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

As you can see from the link, tax reciepts actually slightly decreased during the first two years of the Reagan presidency. Then, in the third year, they went up because of the robust economy. So did the tax cuts play a big hand in the robust economy? I think they had a lot to do with it. It's the chicken-egg argument I guess.

5. The Big Ragu

No, there really isn't a chicken and egg, unless you want to ignore the actual evidence.

Effective tax rates, despite the rhetoric from the political parties have remained within a narrow band, in terms of the overall rate of taxation, and despite what people actually believe, they have remained within a narrow band in terms of what any given income level pays -- smaller differences than people realize. I am not talking about the rhetoric everyone gets stuck on. I am talking about the EFFECTIVE tax rate, not the marginal rates. If you have high tax rates, but a zillion exceptions/deductions, your effective tax rate is not going to be much different than if you have low tax rates, but few exceptions/deductions. And all that has really differed throughout my lifetime is how they have tinkered with that formula -- rates vs. loopholes. The end result has been effective tax rates that have remained within a very narrow band.

Get used to the fact that Reagan's "tax cuts" were marginal at best, when you look at what they meant in terms of EFFECTIVE tax rates.

Which leaves us with the actual truth: Tax receipts correlate closely with how well the economy is doing. It's not something you have to guess at. You can go back to any year, look at how much the economy grew or contracted and compare tax receipts to other years. And the correlation is spot on.

No chicken, no egg on this.

6. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

I posted unbiased news articles, plus a piece from Forbes, not exactly a bastion of anti-capitalist sentiment. You posted a partisan article from a House Republican committee.

Try again, please.

7. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I posted raw numbers. Like I said, let's not turn this into a pissing contest. However, since you asked, here is Paul Krugman...http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/17/reagan-and-revenue/
    He admits tax reciepts went up during the Reagan years, even though he argues the reasons why. Is Krugman too partisan towards the Republicans? He argues that even though the reciepts went up, it wasn't exactly the "boom" Reaganites like to say it was.
    CNN claims the tax reciepts went up because of the closed loopholes, not because of the tax cut...but they do admit tax reciepts went up: http://money.cnn.com/2010/09/08/news/economy/reagan_years_taxes/index.htm
    Let me guess, CNN is in the tank for Republicans.

One thing that cannot be argued is that Reagan's economic policies, massive tax cuts followed by small, pointed tax increases through his two terms, led to the biggest economic recovery and 20+ years of a booming economy in this country. And, by the way, you didn't hear him bitching about the mess Carter left him.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Reagan initiated the long stream of deficit spending. Of course the economy improves when you borrow money but don't have to pay it back yet.

9. The Big Ragu

Our debt levels, under Reagan, when everyone started being concerned about deficits were nothing compared to our debt levels the last 10 years or so. We were never in any real danger.

National debt as a percentage of GDP, while Reagan was president averaged around 45 percent or so. National Debt as a percentage of GDP today is close to 85 percent and growing.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

And that's what is comical - Reagan is some sort of a folk hero to the conservatives yet he was as much of a big government pork spender as any of the so-called liberals who followed him - well except for the current guy who clainms to be an agent of change but has proven to be woefully in over his head and just another tax and spend liberal whose playbook isn't much more advanced than "if we make cuts, granny won't get medicare!!"

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It was at 33% when he took over and 53% when he left.

Borrowing the equivalent of 20% of the GDP probably had at least something to do with the economy growing.

12. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I think the fact that he plowed a lot of that money into defense instead of social programs has something to do with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted