1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

S.L. Price on Mike Coolbaugh

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Sep 20, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm sure Price sold it as a way to help those affected by Coolbaugh's death as a way to flesh him out more than leaving him as a faceless victim. The story isn't about his death, but about his life. That kind of thing. He might have also had some people who he's dealt with in the past who knew those involved to vouch for him. Having interviewed scores of grieving families through the years, you learn they either want to talk or they don't. Reporter as therapist, more or less. Start with the easy stuff, get them comfortable talking about their loved one, maybe talk about how you felt about a death in your family (why should they share if you don't?), ask about personality traits, happy times. You want to get a picture of the person in your head. You both know the bad stuff is going to come up. Don't tip-toe up to the line. Just ask, so where were you when you found out? Be empathetic but detached. Remember this isn't YOU asking the indelicate question, this is JOE X. REPORTER. Heck, I'll ask a story subject if their loved one killed himself or did drugs and after work be too shy to ask about a friend's cancer-stricken family member.

Price is the kind of writer who can make you check the byline a page or so into a story, because his stuff is always good but each piece reads differently. Love Gary Smith, but I don't need a byline to know I'm reading a Smith feature.
    Writers like Smith and Price make you figure there is no way you can do what they do.
    And then you turn to the back of the mag and read Reilly and figure, well hell, I can do what he does.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It's a fine piece, no question.

But a word of consolation for those of you who may be borderline suicidal that you may not be able to meet that standard:

Please understand that major SI pieces have traditionally had one byline, but plenty of people working on them. So some of the reporting you're admiring may have come from people who were uncredited in the story. On a project like this, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if SI didn't mine the memories and files of those who may have covered this story when it broke.

If SI is doing something major, they have traditionally put out the word to a far-flung network of stringers to track down any related information. A high percentage of it never gets used, but it's available to the writer It's rare that a major SI piece starts with a single reporter and an empty notebook.

It's a fine piece, but SI has also used a process that isn't common to the daily newspaper experience.

3. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

That's my opinion too, DD. All of it. Smith gets into the way of his stories too much for me, but Price's work just flows.

And I like what DanOregon said: The story isn't about his death, but about his life.

Any time you need a little inspiration or motivation, you can go back and read about Coolbaugh and Pat Tillman.

4. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

I just read the article in a hotel room about 600 miles from home and it made me want to call my brother just to talk to him. Unfortunately it's too late at night.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Exactly right, Smasher. Not to say that this isn't a brilliant piece of work, but I wouldn't assume that Price alone did all the reporting.

6. This thread's convinced me to read the Price piece right now.

I just hope it's much better than that Shannon piece. Love Gary Smith (actually disagree with DD), but I absolutely hated the way that story was done.

The reporting was great but I was extremely frustrated with the way it was organized. I nearly threw it down a few times because it wouldn't get to the fucking point. Kept reading for the payoff but I was really disappointed. That's one case where it would have been better had it been written straight. The details should have written themselves.

7. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

That's what I thought about the Shannon story, too.

So I went back and looked at when I felt comfortable reading it, and it was the final three sections, with each section beginning with a drop cap. I knew the payoff was coming, but it took too long to get there.

Still a good story, but with Price I'm not thinking ahead, and when the story ends I still wanna read more.

William Nack was like that also. My favorite SI writer.

8. Just read the Price piece. It's good. It would have probably resonated more if I wasn't in a foul mood already.

9. Couldn't agree more. I did exactly this.

Brilliantly done piece, and fantastic photos. Chilling.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Anyone singing Scott's praises on this thread should really pick up a copy of Scott's travel memoir, Far Afield. I think it's the best book ever about the path a sportswriter takes to find himself.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Next time you feel that way, pick up the phone. Explain. It is your brother.

12. healingman

healingman Guest

Love and compassion go a long way in this world.

Draft saved Draft deleted