1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

s.i. cover this week...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, Jan 16, 2008.

1. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Meanwhile, cover aside, the issue is, like, 70 pages?
    The weekly Ace Hardware sale circular is thicker than that.

RE the cover:
    Q: What keeps the snow from frosting up Brett's face shield?
    A: Peter King's tongue.

2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

For the many designers out there better than me: How did SI get the snow in the picture over the 'Sports Illustrated' at the top of the cover? I know how to make an image appear over text, like somebody's head or a ball or something by using a selection tool and selecting the image, then cutting out that part of the text. But I don't know how you would do that with a bunch of tiny, blurry snowflakes like in that picture.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Anyone read the Majerus story by Price? I thought it was really really good. I didn't realize he was such a nut and so hard on the players: hitting them, grabbing their nuts, verbally destroying them, and, worse, walking around naked in front of them...

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

So you've got the Favre cover, coverage of the Packers and a Majerus story, all in one issue?

The cheeseheads must be erect.

5. That's a painstaking design, Rusty. Probably used the "mask" feature in Photoshop to get the flakes on top of the lettering.

6. JackS

JackS Member

The whole thing was obviously photoshopped. Does anyone think that much snow had accumulated on Favre's shoulder pads while he was playing?

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Was thinking the same thing on the shoulder pads. There's having time in the pocket, and then there's time in the pocket ... So if Favre wins Super Bowl, does he get three covers in, what, six weeks? Would have to be some kind of record, no?

8. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

but the flakes are arbitrary, so in the end, probably not that hard to do. Time is all you need.

9. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

When the Steelers recently won the Super Bowl, they had like three covers in four weeks. It was disgusting. :p

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

SI Jinx!

I guess we should bet on the Giants...

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure, but I don't think those were all of one player.

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I'd bet that MJ had stretches like that during the playoffs when the Bulls were winning titles.

Draft saved Draft deleted