1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

$&*@'s getting real in North Korea

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by three_bags_full, May 12, 2015.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Still waiting to hear what Nation X could ever hope to gain by executing an unprovoked first-strike on Nation Y.

Yet we keep assuming Nation X is champing at the bit to do so.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

All it takes is one miscalculation or mistake, so people worry. But so far, the evidence is that nuclear weapons make countries more cautious, not more reckless. India and Pakistan have fought like four wars in their history. Their relations remain hostile. But their nukes have led to a lower level state of hostilities, not another big war.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

North Korea reminds me of a dog chasing a squirrel - it's fun to watch - until the dog catches the squirrel.

If I were China, I'd want a more pliable madman running that country.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Still feels like he's thinking like a businessman and has subcontracted dealing with this to China and South Korea.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ya he wants them to "move like a bitch" on them.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The funny thing is, even if you were a truly benevolent country, wanting to be a friend to the world - you would still want a strong military deterrent with South Korea and China surrounding you.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Donald Trump isn't the first and won't be the last president with no good answers when it comes to North Korea.

I Should Coco and HanSenSE like this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

When has South Korea ever shown an aggressive military stance? Their strong military is largely a response to the threat of the hostile North. If the North hadn't been unstable and aggressive for its entire history, I doubt the South would have militarized the way it did.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Don't know if there's a lot any POTUS can do. Military options would be suicide. Economic sanctions? I don't think we have any dealings with them anyway.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

The option is to "turn them into glass".

As horrific as that sounds, it would be the least abhorrent path than seeing South Korea overrun.

Draft saved Draft deleted