1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

S.C. deputy filmed slamming teen girl out of desk, dragging her away

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

As open as you apparently.

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Once again you're missing the point that there are important steps that were not taken here that should have been before the young woman was flipped backwards in her desk. Hence my flippant reply.

3. Armchair_QB

And you didn't answer my question. How long do you wait before you use force if she refuses to obey commands?

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No. Some random Instagram "user" we don't know from Adam said she was. Big difference.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And, it's the best account of the incident we have!

6. franticscribe

However long is objectively reasonable for the circumstance because that's the standard that the officer will be judged by. I'm not going to give you an answer that is 30 seconds, or 2 minutes or 5 minutes or 10 minutes or 30 minutes because each scenario is different. There are certainly times where a quick use of force is justified. There are times when use of force isn't justified at all, even if someone is refusing to obey an officers commands.

So I'll repeat, in this case it is hard to look at that video and make an argument that level of force was objectively reasonable for the circumstances. He had plenty of other choices, which included continuing to talk to her, talking to her more assertively, using soft hands or even walking away.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It has to be tough for police officers to figure out the precise use of force that will be visually acceptable on a cell phone video. This isn't like the student was staging a sit-in. She was actively resisting, and that resistance was what led to what happened.

old_tony likes this.
  8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't know. Something short of flipping her over in her desk, then pile-driving her through about 10 feet of air seems like it might have gotten the trick done.

SnarkShark, HC and franticscribe like this.
  9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sums up liberals pretty well:

[​IMG]

old_tony likes this.
  10. Armchair_QB

So you can't answer the question?

11. franticscribe

Refusing to follow his commands isn't active resistance. She never had a chance to actively resist, which is essentially physical resistance, because he flipped her desk back almost as soon as he put his hands on her.

Officers should always assume they are being recorded, and when I have spoken to rookies in their basic law enforcement training classes I remind them of that. Of course my partner in those presentations also reminds them that they should do what's right, not because a camera might be watching, but because it's what is right. The cell phone video argument, though, is one of the many reasons why officers should have their own body cameras , so that the interaction gets recorded from their prospective.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Jeez, you make it sound like we're talking about convincing the bank robber to release the hostage or talking the jumper down from the ledge,. No, it was just a bratty teenager who refused to get off her phone, refused to leave the classroom, and was making it impossible for the class to continue. You really think a school can maintain order if it allows kids to continue to do that on and on while doing nothing about it but negotiation and talking? Should they've just wasted the entire hour long class period with the rest of the students doing nothing but watch adults plead "oh please, please, pretty please" to the little darling?

Three different adults tried negotiating with the kid--first the teacher, then the administrator, and finally the officer--at least eight different prior requests to leave were made and refused. At some point enough's enough with the talking and you got to move on to Plan B.

Draft saved Draft deleted