1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

S-bomb costs kid state title

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.courant.com/sports/columnists/hc-jeffcol0607.artjun07,0,349865.column?coll=hc-utility-sports

About a month ago, I was talking to a track coach and he mentioned a similar incident. With both agreed that dq-ing a kid on first offense for something like this is a little much, that a warning probably would have been in order for something like this. Obviously the official can't and shouldn't let it go, but for incidental, barely-audible profanity, tossing a kid on the first offense is going too far.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Most high school activities associations are so fucking stupid it's amazing that they're were able to get to high school, much less take charge of high schools.

Sometimes, I feel like I'm the only one in the world blessed with the beautiful thing they call....common sense.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Connecticut is the same state that wanted to avoid football blowouts by suspending coaches rather than simply installing a running-clock mercy rule. So that really doesn't surprise me.

4. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

Are you shitting me? This is ridiculous. If I was that girl, after getting dq'ed, I'd have cursed up a storm about how stupid this rule is. Get her money's worth.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Fucking mother fuckers..

6. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

This is the most asinine thing I have ever seen.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What a joke...

I would fire the official immediately... Then I would call him a motherfucking donkey-raping shit eater...

8. Flash

Flash Guest

And the relay team gets DQ'd for underwear that didn't match?

Why isn't it enough to just win? Remember when none of us on the relay team matched?

What are we telling athletes by rendering their abilities pointless with these stupid rules?

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I think it is a good place to post this quote once again.....

"In the first place God made idiots. This was for practice. Then He made School Boards."

— Mark Twain

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

First of all, this rule is stupid.

Second, I do wonder where and how the S- and F-bombs became commonplace words in our language. This is coming from someone who uses both words a bunch. But it seems like it's now common to hear those words at any point, and I'm still taken aback whenever someone decides to randomly toss each one out in public.

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Really? Hearing a Priest or Nun swear doesn't even shock me......they're just words.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm with you on the first. The second is a good question, too.

But in my mind...who gives a fucking shit if people curse?

The best was the point in the story talking about how the girl probably wouldn't have been DQ'd if she had taken the lord's name in vain because that would be better grounds for a lawsuit. Which is true and points to the stupidity of this situation.

Somebody explain to me what is wrong with the word "shit." Seriously. Why is it bad?

At least when you get into saying something like Jesus Christ, I can understand people being offended. There is a reason the statement bothers people.

This shit always pisses me off....

Draft saved Draft deleted