1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

@#@#$'s about to go down at USAT

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mb, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm more concerned about how many fuckers are going to follow their lead. This is such a copy cat industry.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

I with you there.

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

That's what scares me, too - especially since the CEO of our chain just sent out a tweet welcoming USAT to the "digital first" mindset. We're supposed to celebrate 130 people in our industry losing their jobs?

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And you know for damn sure that, when the economy picks up again and advertisers (and profits) start trickling back, the powers that be won't look at reinvesting in the product and hiring more staff. They'll look at what "worked" -- the slashing of payroll and other costs -- and pat themselves on the back for a job well done. Probably give themselves a raise while they're at it.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Gannett: The Pittsburgh Pirates of the newspaper world.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Pretty good analogy there, Batman.

7. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

however, the pirates still have fans (like me).

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

And unfortunately, so does USA Today.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

(Over) Estimates for iPad sales in 2010: 10 million.

Total number of alleged USAT daily readers: 2 million.

How on Earth does Gannett think it can make money catering to iPad users? Do they seriously believe 10 percent or more of iPad users will use an USAT iPad App every day?

Time to short Gannett stock.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Gannett has gambled before and won. I remember when USA Today began there were many who didn't think it would succeed. It did. I'm not counting them out but they have a way of setting a tone for this industry that isn't healthy for those low on the totem poll.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

That sounds like something Gannett would put in their news release or on their paper's website.

12. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I did the same thing. When a USAT was left at my hotel room, I tossed it right into the trash.

Draft saved Draft deleted