1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ryder Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Kool-Aid, Jul 17, 2008.

1. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

No. 13 is a great matchplay hole, if anyone will have the cojones to go for it off the tee. that's doubtful.
    Meanwhile. $85 for wireless service for the week here on press row. i'd rather have had the wireless free instead of the media gift, a ryder cup backpack.
    meanwhile, the the german guys from golf punk just arrived.

2. EE94

EE94 Guest

they've won 5 of the past 6. you think its the first time they've been favoured?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

YOU'RE at the Ryder Cup? Did you win a contest?

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I think $85 for wireless at PGA of America events is pretty standard anymore.

5. TwoGloves

Did I just hear Kentucky's governor call Valhalla one of the best courses in the entire world? Or was I was hallucinating? Yup, it ranks right up there with Augusta National, Pinehust No. 2, Bethpage Black, Pine Valley, Spyglass, St. Andrews, etc.

6. TwoGloves

My God, could the president of the PGA of America been any stiffer? They could have done without those cliche comments. "United we stand, divided we fall." IT'S GOLF, NOT LIFE OR DEATH FOR GOD'S SAKE! At least the European guy doesn't sound as rehearsed.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

What do you want from the pres of the PGA, which is a volunteer position, and unpaid? Barack Obama rhetoric? The guy started out life as a club pro and worked his way up to the operator of a resort course in Oregon. You're not going to get silver-tongued oratory.

8. TwoGloves

Loosen up a bit for goodness sake or let somebody else speak. On another note, how about those pairings? The first and last matches could be dandies. Mickelson-Kim vs. Harrington-Karlsson and Furyk-Perry vs. Garcia-Westwood. I'd love to see the Americans knock Sergio on his cocky ass.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Without Elin in the lineup, the Euro wives have given the team a big advantage.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. The disgrace of the 2000 majors, though it was a hell of a tournament.

Augusta National
    Pebble Beach
    St. Andrews

um ... Valhalla.

It's a goofy, tricked-up course.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

$85 for wireless (through Safari, I imagine) is standard for a PGA of America event. That should be the least of your concerns. Trust me, you'll be treated better by Julius Mason and Co. than you would at any other major.

I've had plenty of time to read up on this, since I've been bedridden with a nasty case of the flu the last 3 1/2 days.... and even with all this knowledge, I honestly have no idea what will happen.

My brain tells me to pick the Euros, since Sergio has never lost with a partner, Paddy Harrington is coming into his own in this event and several of the Euros (Lee Westwood comes immediately to mind) have played very, very well and thrive in this atmosphere.

That said... I could see how this would be the year that the American rookies -- specifically Anthony Kim -- seize the moment and carry the U.S. Especially since it's on U.S. soil and mediocre Valhalla will be one gigantic, raucus jingoistic place.

Draft saved Draft deleted