1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RYDER CUP

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by gandhithegreat, Aug 20, 2006.

1. For all the so-called golf experts out there...

Looks like the qualifiers will be

Woods (doesn't play any team events well)
    Mickelson (Ditto from above)
    Furyk (the people's Ryder Cupper)
    Campbell (quiet gamer)
    Toms (great Ryder Cup game, fairways and greens)
    DiMarco (no brainer...ultimate grinder, teammate)
    Taylor (unknown, great ball striker) newbie
    Henry (this guy is loaded with confidence...and pumped about playing the Ryder Cup) newbie
    Zach Johnson (a grinder with a nice game) newbie

*Tim Herron (Great news for guys that like chicken wings and beer..never know if he'll show up though)
    *Brett Wetterich (unknown...couple good weeks in May)

Captain's picks
    1. Steve Stricker (this guy's been playing his nads off...record is 2-3 at President's Cup, a win in Singles and Four-Ball...two losses though in Foursomes match and that's the weakest link for Americans.)
    2. Davis Love III (can counter the real emotional players/newbies)
    3. Stewart Cink (underpar through six holes today...but a long way from the Top 10...which would get him the Captain's pick)
    *Looks like Lumpy could play his way on the team.
    4. Dean Wilson (long shot recovering from International win hangover and is -6 on the day through 12. won playoff over captain last week)

The newbies will breath some life into the team and at the same time, make Woods and Mickelson better too...no doubt.

2. Cink is a cinch.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Cink and Verplank would be my captain's picks. Screw DLIII. Couples, too.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

As one of the "people" who loves the Ryder Cup, I'm a bit confused as to why Jim Furyk and his 4-9-2 career record makes him "my" Ryder Cupper.

That said, if you use the president's cup pairings, and put Phil and DiMarco together and Woods and Furyk, I think we'll be ok.

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

my sources say that as of 10:30 CDT, still no decision on the captains picks.

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

Can't put Freddy in because his back is so screwed up.........one bad swing, and that boy's in traction.

DL3......his game is screwed up.........looked awesome for 16 holes Thursday.........whoops........finish bogey-triple.

Personally, I'd put Glover in.........dude has some serious game.........him and Verplank.

Draft saved Draft deleted